Author Topic: Couple of firsts for me  (Read 7726 times)

Offline DuBois

Re: Couple of firsts for me
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2017, 04:31:06 pm »
Good to see you doing something new Pearlie. I had just assumed you had done it all!

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2017, 07:43:12 pm »
Looking good so far. Can't wait to see the finished product. Great job.
Northern Ute

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2017, 07:48:29 pm »
Great to see one of the masterful statesman at work.  ;) How is buckthorn as a bow wood? There is a crap ton of it around here.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline bubby

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2017, 08:19:53 pm »
Buckthorn makes a very nice bow
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2017, 08:30:09 pm »
Crowning both sides makes since to me. The compression and tension may not be flat but they are even. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2017, 09:19:05 pm »
Good build Chris.The one I built long ago had around 20 knots...lol.Without the sapwood.All showing on the belly and pin knots on the back.They all held up though.Built that one with a flat belly and quite a bit shorter.60" I think.A hard hitter.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 04:06:23 am »
Ya put a smile on My Face Pearly ! I really like that type of Bow - I bet it will flat zing and arrah when done. Well done Sir - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:57 am »
Pearl does that mean you hollow out the belly? Or do you crown it? I'm still pretty slow when it comes to this stuff but just seems like if you worry about a crowned back having to much tension you need to basically hollow the belly. Am I thinking right or is this wrong?
Bjrogg

The cross section is an oval, BJ. The high crown on the back and the semi oval belly match up nice. This bow started with about 1.5" of natural reflex, I may have lost only 1/2" so far. I love natural reflex for that reason.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2017, 06:30:21 am »
Good to see you doing something new Pearlie. I had just assumed you had done it all!

Doobs I'm different than a lot of guys. I don't go to my shop to relax, I have to be relaxed before I start or its just a tense mess. Needless to say I havent been very relaxed the last few years. I had another bow that HAD to be built, that started my ball slowly rolling again. Feels good to make a mess in my shop again.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 06:50:31 am »
Got my cork shaped last night. I shot it several times and the cork just barely moves with the bow, pretty cool feeling in the hand. I coated it 3 times with TB3 to tighten it up and strengthen the cork. Ill shoot it several more times before I wrap it up. Shintos, #50's and sanding blocks are great for shaping cork. Keep the strokes very light while pushing away and it wont tear out the cork.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2017, 07:09:53 am »
Very nice.  It will need heavy arrows to tame any hand-shock
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2017, 09:46:21 am »
very cool stik ya got there, love that cork handle
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Parnell

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2017, 09:59:52 am »
That's fun, PD.  Interesting idea, handle, and the rawhide overlays all bringing something kinda different.  Cool ideas!
1’—>1’

Offline DuBois

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2017, 04:29:52 pm »
Glad to know yer relaxed a bit and getting some bows going. Always like to see them.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2017, 04:35:11 pm »
nice handle,,
 :)