Author Topic: Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot  (Read 6564 times)

Offline BrianS

Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot
« on: February 27, 2017, 08:27:52 am »
The 2017 Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot will be held on April 22,23 and 24. Hawkeye Bowmen is located in Western New York. The Shoot starts at noon on the 22 and ends at noon on the 24th. There will be about 20 targets set up with some contests throughout the weekend. Primitive tent Camping only. There will be no Kitchen open for this Shoot. This is a small very laid back shoot. Most years we get about 50 shooters with about half of them camping out. There was a article in PA Magazine about our little Shoot a while back. If you are going for just the day, Saturday is your best bet as there is the most going on that day. We have a pot luck dinner on Saturday evening also. If you are looking for a big shoot with all the bells and whistles this one is probably not for you. However if you are looking for a small event where you can shoot a uncrowded course, learn about bow making, meet other Primitive Archers and just relax, this Shoot may be of interest. Here are some pictures of this years awards that were handmade by a Member.  I will post more details as it gets closer.
Take care,
Brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Hawkeye Bowmen Spring Thaw Selfbow Shoot
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:36:44 am »
never been but a great bunch of folks putting it on so how could you go wrong. For sure on my bucket list of events I want to make someday.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:25:54 pm »
Me to Pappy except I spend that much time up north I might as well become a resident. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline BrianS

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 06:45:03 pm »
Shoot is just about a month away so here is a update.
The dates are April 21 - 23 with the shoot starting at noon on Friday and closing at noon on Sunday. We will have two courses setup for a total of 20 targets. This Shoot is for Selfbows Only with exceptions made only for Kids who can shoot any type of stickbow. Primitive camping is availble. Our Clubhouse has City water and flush toilets and will be open for the shoot. Our Kitchen will not be serving food at this Shoot but there will be a Pot Luck Dinner (with awards for the best dish) on Saturday evening. In addition to shooting the courses, You may enter (if you wish) in several friendly events throughout the weekend. On Friday afternoon there will be a primitive one log fire contest in which you need to start a fire using a primitive method and then be the first to boil a cup of water using just one log as both your kindling and fuel. On Saturday morning there will be a hawk and knife contest put on by Pam and Tom. They will have loaners if you do not have a hawk or knife, The annual Woodswalk will be held Saturday afternoon. The Woodswalk contains not only shooting challenges but other challenges such as primitive fire, trapping skills, woodslore knowledge, navigation along with all sorts of skills. Dino has been working very hard to put together a Woodswalk that will challenge even the best Woodsman! On Sunday morning there will be a Clout Shoot held by Legendary Archer Gerry Lee. In addition to these events, Rob is planning a "Boss Gobbler Shoot off" for Hawkeye Members sometime on Friday.  This Shoot is a small Shoot but would be a good fit for Anyone who wants to hang out with other like minded Primitive Archers and not be bothered by crowds. Hawkeye Bowmen is located in Marilla New York at 13300 Clinton Street (Rte354). Any questions send a PM. Hope to see you there.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:03:50 pm »
Here are a few pictures from a previous Spring Thaw Shoot.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:05:58 pm »
more pictures:

Offline BrianS

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 07:09:05 pm »
A few more:

Offline chamookman

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 03:32:55 am »
Man - Looks like FUN ! Wish I was closer  (=) - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 10:34:46 am »
I visited Dino's Fur Shed this morning. He updated me on some of things he has been working on for this year's Woodswalk. I do not want to spoil the surprise but He has some really cool stuff planned. He also showed me this year's shoot medallions he has made. I wish I had my camera to take a picture. Instead of the normal medallion he made small medicine bags for everyone with the year. Believe it or not this will make year 14 for this Shoot!

Offline BrianS

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:02:37 am »
Courses are all set. Weather has been milder than it is normally. Prizes are starting to come in. Rob has donated one of his Fire Pistons, Kevin has donated a take down bucksaw, a carved spoon and a turkey caller, A Anonymous Member donated a Case "Yellow Handle" Trappers knife. Probably will have some more prizes by Shoot time.
Hope to see Old Friends and maybe see some new faces at our little Shoot.
Take Care,
Brian

Offline BrianS

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 09:47:31 am »
2017 Schedule of events:
Friday (5:00 pm) Hawkeye Boss Gobbler Shoot. Open to Hawkeye Members only. Meet at the Tom Quinn building

Friday (6:30pm) One log fire contest. Open to All attending. You will need your (primitive) fire starting kit, a container that will hold a cup of water and a tool to split a log. Contest will take place in the driveway near the Tom Quinn building.  Award for the Winner.

Saturday (9:00 to 10:00am) Hawk and Knife throw. Open to All attending. Bring your own or there will be some to lend at the practice range (follow blue flags).  Award for the Winner.

Saturday (10:00am until 11:00am) Woodswalk Qualifier. Open to All attending. Bring your bow and selfnock arrows to the range near the Tom Quinn building.
Saturday (1:00pm sharp) Woodswalk  Open to the top Qualifiers. Award for the Winner.

Saturday (6pm) – Camp Feast in the Clubhouse. Bring a dish to pass. Award for the best dish as voted on by those attending.

Sunday (10am) – Clout Shoot meet near the start of the Blue course. Open to All attending. Award for the Winner.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:15 am »
Weather Report:
Friday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 53. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Friday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 39.
Saturday Mostly sunny, with a high near 57.
Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 41.
Sunday A chance of showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 58. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2017, 01:37:26 am »
What!!!  The Hawkeye Bowmen(andWomen) are in New York!!!   That may explain why I can't find them north of St. Cloud and south of Des Moines!! 😀😀👹!  What a terrible revelation!   Have a great shoot!  The Buckhorn Skinners are shooting this weekend as well, but we are looking at cool and clear we hope
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2017, 09:17:10 am »
Shoot starts today!!!
Got my stuff packed, cant wait to get there and break out the medicinal!

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2017, 07:45:16 am »
Definition of the word Posse. Your Crew, Your Hommies, A Group of People who may or may not have your back
Figured Rappers, Rock and Movie Stars have them so I thought I would form my own Posse at our Shoot Yesterday just in case.
Here is a picture of my Crew
By the way: Nobody messed with me and the Ladies were all impressed!