Author Topic: Draw knife question  (Read 2044 times)

Offline High-Desert

Draw knife question
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:19:35 am »
I was curious if anyone knows of a quality draw knife with a small 4-5" blade. I'm tired of using my huge drawknife for chasing rings. I saw a Mora with a small blade, but it has a straight handle.  Any opinions on the straight handle vs the standard 90ish degree handles?
Eric

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Draw knife question
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:26:33 am »
I prefer an 8" draw knife with a slight curve for chasing rings.  Check your local antique or junk stores or flea markets for an older one.  I have a very small draw knife but it's almost to little for chasing rings.  It works good on lighter detail work.  There is no name on it.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 11:31:44 am »
I'll check out the antique stores, I see a lot of ole tools in there. The drawknife I use now is 10", which I use to tear off most of the wood down close to the ring I want, but something a little more delicate to get through the last couple rings would be nice, but not quite as delicate as a scraper. I haven't tried it, so it may not be what I actual want.
Eric

Offline justsomedude

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 11:34:28 am »
Check the burr on your scraper...I got one 'right' and now I understand why you need one

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:42 am »
A blade 6"-8" would work really good for chasing rings.  You can find them on the big auction site but they are pricey with the shipping. 

Check out the How to page.  There is a really good post about putting a burr on your scraper.  If you have good steel and follow the steps it will make a great scraper.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 12:07:56 pm »
Are you holding your draw knife with the bevel up or down? With the bevel up the blade digs in and you can really take off a lot of wood quickly, which can be good or bad. With the bevel down you have more control so you can finesse the wood off gently.
L actually like a longer draw knife because it gives me more leverage when needed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online willie

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 12:16:09 pm »
the mora has a double bevel with a low angle, I like it for some things, but its not the same as most draw knives

I have two different bevels on my large antique knife. the center has a steeper bevel for coarser work, but I maintain a more delicate shallower edge, out by the handles.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 12:30:50 pm »
I use bevel down. I don't have any trouble chasin a ring with the long drawknife, I just don't like my hands out so far apart and wanted to try a a smaller blade where I feel like I have more control. The large drawknife works awesome for Osage where the blade just find the ring, but with yew, it doesn't take much to rip through a couple rings. The scraper works great for getting through the last couple. rings. Maybe my technique is just weird. I tear down close to where I want to be, go back and get close to the ring I want, using the large drawknife, then to the last ring with the scraper. I was just looking for something smaller for the middle step.
Eric

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 03:58:03 pm »
I have a couple bigger draw kniefs plus the shorter strait handled  double beveled Swedish push knief the short strait hadled one is good for taking off bark and sap wood but is not real controllable like the larger ones.
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Online willie

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 04:16:25 pm »
stick,
 do you actually use it as a push, or a pull?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 06:11:27 pm »
I actualy use it as a push knife for back pealing rings when I have to go deep in a stave , if you use it as a pull type draw knife it is not very controllable because of the double edge and strait handles the blade seems to want to torque & the short spread on the handles doesent give good control at least not for me but works great for pealing bark off or sap wood !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline gifford

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 06:18:57 pm »
High Desert - you might want to check out the drawknives made by ARNO. They have about 5 inch blade, convex, concave or flat blade models. I've seen them in use at MoJAM, and they sure do take an edge. The drawknives aren't cheap but may be worth it to you. I've thought about getting one myself but haven't done as of yet.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2017, 06:31:36 pm »
Great! Thanks everyone for your help. I will check out ARNO. I don't think I can have too many quality hand tools even if it fills a small niche.

Eric
Eric

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 09:20:26 pm »
The Mora is more for carving but I have one and use it for detail and light duty work. They are scary sharp and the blade flexes a bit which can be handy for some stuff.