Author Topic: Ipe  (Read 3788 times)

Offline ZaneMyers

Ipe
« on: February 27, 2017, 09:43:20 pm »
Where can I get some Ipe to make a bamboo backed bow. I don't want a bunch just a piece or two. I would also like to know where the best place to get bamboo backings is. Any advice would be appreciated on how to make the bow. I have only done bows with staves before.

Offline PatM

Re: Ipe
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 09:48:47 pm »
Carson at Echo Archery.

Offline ZaneMyers

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:53:55 pm »
Thanks I'll have to order me some hopefully we'll see some bows in a few months.

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 10:31:05 pm »
Carson at Echo Archery! X2

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 12:39:33 am »
Echo Archery ×3! Carson will send you a great piece of wood.

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 06:31:52 am »
You will love it. I think an ELB or ALB is the best design. 1" wide is plenty and somewhere in the 67-69" ntn range for a 28" draw.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline loon

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 06:56:14 am »
You will love it. I think an ELB or ALB is the best design. 1" wide is plenty and somewhere in the 67-69" ntn range for a 28" draw.
Man I can't wait to try a boo backed one. I might try local lumberyards though.

Offline ZaneMyers

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 06:26:13 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice!

Offline ZaneMyers

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 07:59:56 pm »
I was just wondering would a hickory backing work? I think it would be easier to cut a hickory backing. It would look cool I think or should I just stick with bamboo.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2017, 08:24:05 pm »
I was just wondering would a hickory backing work? I think it would be easier to cut a hickory backing. It would look cool I think or should I just stick with bamboo.

Echo provides ready to glue-up bamboo.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »

Yes hickory will work very well assuming it is good quality.

I'm sure Carson at echo archery provides excellent material, but you might wanna consider just buying an Ipe 2x4. A 10 ft piece runs maybe $50 but it's quite a few bows. Maybe 6 or 7 depending how you build them.

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 11:01:29 pm »
I'm sure Carson at echo archery provides excellent material, but you might wanna consider just buying an Ipe 2x4. A 10 ft piece runs maybe $50 but it's quite a few bows. Maybe 6 or 7 depending how you build them.

Just playing a little devil's advocate, as getting your own supplies is always going to be cheaper, but some things to consider about getting your own lumber vs buying from a reputable vendor:

1) Do you have the materials available locally?
2) Do you have the equipment (or access to) to rip your own boards?
3) Do you know what to look for in a board (not all boards are created equal for making bows)?
4) Are you prepared to spend a decent amount of time looking for proper bow-making materials?  There might be a good piece of ipe, hickory, bamboo, etc, in the big hardware store, but be prepared to look through tons of boards to find the right one.

At the end of the day, if all you're looking for is material to make one bamboo backed ipe bow, I would just order the materials online.  Since Echo Archery has been mentioned a few times, if you figure in shipping, you'll be spending about $80ish for the pre-flattened bamboo and an ipe board.  While this is more expensive than just buying a good ipe and hickory board on your own (or finding bamboo that will work), you'll not only be getting Grade A materials that will do their job if you do yours, but you're also supporting a business that supports PA (and also is active on this forum as well).

Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.   ;D

"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 11:19:33 pm »
4) Are you prepared to spend a decent amount of time looking for proper bow-making materials?  There might be a good piece of ipe, hickory, bamboo, etc, in the big hardware store, but be prepared to look through tons of boards to find the right one.
Eh, it can be that hard for belly material that's going to be backed?... ...
The grain doesn't even have to be perfect?.. ..

mikekeswick

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 03:35:20 am »
Eh, it can be that hard for belly material that's going to be backed?... ...
The grain doesn't even have to be perfect?.. ..

how many lam bows have you made??? I can tell you without a doubt that you do need very good material for the belly of a board bow. If you use substandard material it will fail. Grain swirls, wonky grain, knots etc will fail over time. If the woods fibers aren't running parallel with the surface of the board the wood is weaker than if they were. The further they drift off parallel the weaker the wood is. The number is different flaws that will harm a lam bows durability is surprising.
You need to use the very best materials you can get or else you are on a road to nowhere.....and that means looking through lots and lots of wood in the stacks or going to somebody who knows all this and supplies good wood - if you find somebody like this their knowledge of selecting good wood is invaluable to beginners or anybody who just wants enough wood for a bow or two.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2017, 09:14:23 am »
  While this is more expensive than just buying a good ipe and hickory board on your own (or finding bamboo that will work), you'll not only be getting Grade A materials that will do their job if you do yours, but you're also supporting a business that supports PA (and also is active on this forum as well).

Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.   ;D

I couldn't agree more Ty