Author Topic: Arrow Number, and Arrow Length?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline gfugal

Arrow Number, and Arrow Length?
« on: February 27, 2017, 11:17:35 pm »
How many arrows do you guys make for a bow? I guess it depends on how frequent you shoot with the bow. I'm wondering if you found that more than, lets say six, would offer much benefit.

Second question. How much longer do you make your arrows than your draw? I've seen some full draw pictures on here where the arrow sticks out more than 4 or so inches past the back. I'm wondering if there is some benefit for making the arrow longer than an inch or two further than the draw?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 10:14:26 am by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Arrows Number, and Arrow Length?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 11:25:13 pm »
I don't make sets of arrows but usually I will have at least 6 arrows for a bow and the best shooting 2 or 3 will be my hunting arrows.
 I make all my arrows 30" long and my draw length is 26".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 09:49:09 am »
I generally make a set of 3 target arrows for each bow I make and tune them to that bow.  3 more if I plan on hunting with the bow.  I make them all the draw length of the bow and no longer, that way I can never overdraw the bow when I use the arrows that were built specifically for that bow.  I have some bows with a draw length of 28", and some bows that only draw 25".   But, I think I am different in this regard, as most people just have certain spines that they use for a number of bows.   

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 10:01:35 am »
I do like Falcon mentioned there at the end of his post : I make target arrows by the dozen and in specific spine ranges, and then I learn which ones fly best out of each bow and use the same arrows for multiple bows. When it comes to hunting season, I'll just pop the target points off 3 of the most consistent ones in a batch and glue on broad heads.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 10:17:51 am »
I usually make 6 at a time. I make the 32" for my 29" draw, because I think my draw would be 30" if I did it right, and I am more afraid of overdrawing an arrow than the bow.., which is probably irrational.

When my six arrows get down to three, it is time to make more.

Offline aaron

Re: Arrow Number, and Arrow Length?
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 10:51:26 am »
arrows might be way longer than the draw for several reasons: it could be done because they shoot good that way- that is, they have the correct dynamic spine and shorter would be too stiff.
Also, if you are the type who uses the arrow tip to aim (gapping), then a longer arrow would make this easier- it gives you smaller gaps and a closer point-on. I make mine about 2 inches longer than the back of the bow.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Buck67

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 11:24:05 am »
I like to practice with my bows and I don't like to run back and forth to the target to retrieve the arrows so I have a set of 13 that I use.  They are all spined the same and they extend beyond the bow about an inch.  I don't want to wind up with the arrow going through a finger if I get in a hurry.  I experiment with the fletching and there are several styles of fletching on this set of arrows.  However, they all seem to fly the same.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 08:42:15 am »
Yeah i was thinking somewhere around six, but if i prefered a bow that i was going to practice with maybe even bump it up to 10-12. I'll have to see if i have the patience for that. I just wanted check out of curiosity if there was some sort of popular standerd out there. Thanks for all the replys.

As far as length goes I also think like Aaron H. I have family members who are a bit taller than me and it has been my fear they will accidently break my bows by overdrawing them. I figure if i have an arrow that is only 2 inches longer than the draw, plus design and tiller the bow for a draw 2 inches longer than mine, i should be safe. That way i could accomodate to their draw but still have it so i can draw mine with the two inch extra for aiming like Aaron said.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 11:35:04 am »
The number of arrows you shoot per round should depend on your accuracy. If you're a good shot and shoot a lot of arrows you risk damaging arrows. Myself, I can shoot a dozen or so per round with no risk whatever ;D ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2017, 01:31:00 pm »
You will be more accurate if you shoot 1 arrow, retrieve it and shoot it again. When you bunch arrows in the target they can mess with your concentration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2017, 07:53:13 pm »
+1 Pat.

The previous shots and the ones to follow are of little importance and only get in the way and distract from the only shot that really counts, the current one.

I put as many quarter sized dots that will comfortably fit on my target and only shoot at each one once a round. Splitting a shaft robin hood style looks cool and all, but those things take some serious time and effort to make.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2017, 08:44:53 pm »
I wouldn't like shooting just one arrow at more than 10 yards, or at a range when shooting with other people, unless I'm also doing something else like making a string.
But it is a great idea when shooting at a garage or backyard. I have tended to shoot 2 or 3 arrows at a time at the garage but you've convinced me to just shoot one. Guess I'll try heat straightening a bunch of bamboo but only making them into arrows one at a time until I find a good tune at short distance.

I think 32" or 31" would work good with my 28" draw bow if I can feel the arrowhead with the bow hand's index as an 'anchor'.

I read somewhere in here that longer arrows than the draw length are more forgiving of spine... not sure

I guess the Korean standard is about 0.8" above the draw length (measuring arrow length from nock groove to the very tip of the point) - I shoot 32.8" arrows (2ja7chi5pun) with a draw length of 32" or slightly less. But the length from nock groove to start of the arrowhead is about the same as that draw length, if not a little shorter..
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:01:08 pm by loon »