Author Topic: Osage selfbow Hairline Crack  (Read 10528 times)

Sleddman

Osage selfbow Hairline Crack
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:16:15 pm »
This is my fourth bow so I am fairly new to this art. I have been given a couple of staves from friends, but after starting to work the staves I'm not so sure, Ha Ha. The problem is this. The stave was dried for over five years but the sapwood was not removed under the bark. Causing several cracks into the wood grain parallel to its length. I had removed several layers of grain and thought I was safe. BUT after I had straightened and put some backset into the stave I had found twi hairline cracks running lengthwise with the grain in the interior about four inches from the tip of the top limb. None run onto or near the edge. If I dont have to I would rather not back the bow. For now I have lightly heated the limb and soaked and filled the cracks with super glue.  ??? Will this hold ??? any suggestions.  I have started to tiller the bow with a long stringer so far with no bad results.  :-[   Thanks Sleddman from Missouri

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
Re: Osage selfbow Hairline Crack
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:19:03 pm »
I think you will be fine. I saw a bow made by Brian (Koan) that was practically backed with superglue from filling cracks.  ;D    It shot all right, too. 
     Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

greenbean

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 10:36:40 pm »
If isn't a major crack just fill it with super glue and don't worry about it. I have save many bows from the wood stove that way. If you still don't feel safe you can wrap the limb after. If the crack runs to the outside of the limb I would advise wrapping afer glueing.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:03:07 am »
Dude! Superglue is my best friend! The bow sean told you bout is still goin strong( used it most of deer season) and I shoot it often. The friendship bow I just tillered has a bunch of sg that Pappy put in the cracks while he floor tillered it, then when I started tillering it, it developed more..so I put more on it. It works...good luck....Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:42:24 am »
Won't hurt a thing as long as it don't run off the edge.Sometime they will do that when you heat them ,if they have any moisture left in them.I usually seal them with something before doing
much heating or steaming. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Ranger B

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:58 am »
I have one that is cracked as well.  I spoke to Pappy about it the other day.  I have rattler skins on the back so I'll part them and fill with SG then C clamp it but I'd like to wrap it.  What are my options to wrap it with.  Once I get the wrap on it what should I paint over the wrap with?  Thanks in advance for the help.
Ranger B

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:12 am »
That is a drying crack. Chances are it will be fine. They are annoying and can cause problems on the nock end when cutting it or as you shoot it. I often do a very simple hardwood overlay often of the same wood to reinforce the area. Snakeskin doesn't afford much protection. Rawhide would. It's probably ok but if it bothers you put on some rawhide. Pics would help us advise you better.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

greenbean

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 11:02:33 am »
Ranger, Linnen is your best option. I would also wrap the other limb in the same area to keep the symetriacal. Also you could use thin
leather that has been wetted down and stretched with a wash of wood glue. As it dries it will shrink and tighten, so make sure to overlap the ends some. Black leather wraps on a Osage bow look real good.

Ranger B

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 11:37:08 am »
Crack from shelf up the upper limb

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ranger B

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 11:38:12 am »
Another

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 11:40:50 am »
That recurve I just built has a crack (on the belly side) about ten inches long right about the middle of the lower limb where it bends quite a bit. Came from heat and trying to remove some propeller - made a little crack/pop sound when it let go. I was pretty discouraged when I heard and saw that but went ahead and finished the bow anyway. Sinew backed - I can't tell ya if that made any difference, but I filled the crack with super glue too. Thing shoots great!!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline bonater

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:13:10 pm »
I built a Osage selfbow a year ago and after a couple of months of shooting it, a couple of cracks developed as well as couple of splinters rising up on the back.  After a little superglue, the bow has gone through an entire deer season and who knows hows many thousand shots and is still going strong. 

Sleddman

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 01:49:51 pm »
Thanks for all the advice so far. Here are a couple of pic's, hope they go through.  Sleddman

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 01:57:51 pm »
Fill it with Super glue,good supper glue and I can almost guarantee you will never know the
difference.If you don't like the look ,just cover it with a snake,or if like Jawge said if you are a little nervous ,Rawhide or silk.Never used silk but I guess it works,a lot on here do use it. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 03:58:44 pm »
A couple of months ago I might have thought that looked bad, but don't look too bad to me now - course no cracks would be optimum but that's osage. Super glue :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.