Author Topic: Trouble posting test, and question on ash arrow shafts  (Read 3533 times)

Ruddy Darter

Trouble posting test, and question on ash arrow shafts
« on: March 06, 2017, 03:09:55 am »
Hi all, I've got a 125@31 self yew and want to use 3/8" ash shafts for the arrows if I can find some suitable (they need to be 3/8" so I can do some club scores, half inch are not allowed) .. Should be OK? (with type 10's)and could anyone help point me in the right direction to get some? Would birch be another option or a little too light?
Thanks if you can advise or assist, much appreciated.
 R.D.

Offline WillS

Re: Trouble posting test, and question on ash arrow shafts
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 04:03:26 am »
Birch is heavier than ash.  Birch 3/8" would be fine, but ash 3/8" will also not be a problem. 

Try Plug It Dowels, the prices are excellent.  His shafts aren't exactly premium arrow shafts, but they're so cheap you can buy in bulk and sort through to match them by rough spine.  You can get ash, pine, ponderosa, birch and tulip poplar from him, in 1/2" and 3/8" sizes.

Type 10s are usually not allowed by most clubs, but you can get 3/8" brass / steel bullet points.  I tend to buy the cheap Richard Head 11/32" ones and shove them onto 3/8" shafts with a bit of sanding to blend the join.  I was shooting those out of a 110@30" bow all day yesterday with no problems.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 04:13:36 am »
Thank you WillS, I'll give that a go.. 8)
 R.D.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 06:39:00 am »
Hedgerows and verges are a good source for straight ash as they get cut down regularly.