Author Topic: Couple of questions  (Read 3592 times)

Offline hicklife1989

Couple of questions
« on: March 06, 2017, 02:42:05 pm »
My first question is what would be a good tree for making natural arrows from i know dog wood will be but what is best for a 60 pound bow and if using boards cut down to 1/2 square to be doweled what would be the best wood that way can get bamboo flooring and hickory and pine boards

Also does any one know of any primitive skill classes or meet ups near spartanburg sc wanting to try find a group of people to shoot with and learn some primitve skills just cant find no info

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Couple of questions
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:07:14 pm »
I've been having a primitive skills weekend for a few years now usually the last weekend in July or there about. I live in Brevard, NC only about 1 1/2 hours from Spartenburg. I'll post here on PA near the time with dates and directions. You can contact me before hand if you'd like.  Also, the Tenn Classic will be May 5,6,7. It would be about 5 to 6 hours away but lots of wood bow building, flint knapping and other primitive skills.
 Hickory will make good arrows but heavy. Pine will make good arrows. Look up George Tsoukalas' website(here on PA). George has lots of info on building bows and arrows. Poplar also makes good arrows.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:47:51 pm »
Is there a wood that wouldn't make good arrows? maybe really dense and heavy wood like ironwood or ipe wouldn't be good, but I'm not sure. Basically, anything that doesn't make a good bow wood would probably make good arrow wood?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:52:47 pm »
Any wood that does make good bow wood will make arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 04:17:51 pm »
Ok. Pine, poplar, aspen, make poor bow woods but still make good arrows. And apparently any bow wood makes good arrows. So my question stands. What wood doesn't make good arrows? or will any wood do. Balsa? Balsa might not work. Or anything ridiculously curly, but then again if it can be made straight does it matter (other than the time you put into straightening it?). I don't know, I just haven't heard of a bad arrow wood yet.
Greg,

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 04:47:51 pm »
Ok. Pine, poplar, aspen, make poor bow woods but still make good arrows. And apparently any bow wood makes good arrows. So my question stands. What wood doesn't make good arrows? or will any wood do. Balsa? Balsa might not work. Or anything ridiculously curly, but then again if it can be made straight does it matter (other than the time you put into straightening it?). I don't know, I just haven't heard of a bad arrow wood yet.

I think you just answered your own question :D I thought i was the only one that did that :D

Offline gfugal

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 06:32:32 pm »
I think you just answered your own question :D I thought i was the only one that did that :D
Haha I suppose I did. :D I guess most woods will do.
Greg,

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 12:02:29 am »
I think I saw a tv program on some of the primitive people in SA who used a balsa arrow, but it was very long for hunting monkeys?  The real question is how durable is it?  Try 'em all and use what works best for you and your bow!  On the other hand, I haven't made arrows for a very long time, just now getting back to it.  Almost got one finished.  The other guys and gals have probably forgotten more than I am gonna learn😀
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline loon

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 06:39:55 pm »
Balsa might be good for 18# bows... :P

I've read willow won't make great arrow wood, I guess wood that isn't very stable or won't stay straight makes worse arrow wood.

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 10:32:08 am »
Only straight grained and knot free trees are going to split out easily into arrows. IMO, shoots is better as they are easier to find and produce. They also have concentric rings and will not split as easily.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 07:39:41 am »
Miwok used mock orange shoots. It seems very soft, low spine for the thickness..