Author Topic: Short bendy bow ?  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Short bendy bow ?
« on: March 26, 2017, 09:04:39 am »
I have made several bendy bows but this one will be the shortest normally I leave a 4-5 in. Neutral area in the center and then start my tappers but with this stave only 44 in. & going to be sinewed backed I want to go full circular tiller , do you guys that make short bendys start your tappers from the very center of the stave for circular tiller ?
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline DuBois

Re: Short bendy bow ?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 09:10:30 am »
I leave it thicker in the grip area until it's bending some and can see if middle needs to bend more. But someone with more experience will hopefully jump in here.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 10:16:12 am »
I do like DuBois and leave it slightly thicker in the handle area and fades initially and work into them later. On one as short as yours I would probably start with the center 6" slightly thicker and start my tapers from there. Once I had it on a short string I would gradually start working tapers into the handle areas as I could see how it fit into the tiller/bend. Don't get the middle bending to early in the tillering process. For me its a tiller by feel thing while watching how it incurs set along the way to also guide your wood removal.
Of course while typing this I realized how hard it it to describe how I do things since I seldom adhere to any set of rules when building a bow. Often I'm just winging it. ;D
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 10:18:19 am »
I usually start thinning at the tips and work my way in. I have a habit of getting the center bending too much, if I start in the center.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 10:36:50 am »
Ok thanks all ,being this short wasn't sure if I was just going to round out the whole bend but I will do it like was said stiffer center & BB I like the way you winged your last one  :) for me the last couple of bows I have been putting in ruff tappers helps me see the tiller early not at the point where I can scrape a nice tiller from a strait stave all though did get lucky once thinking maybe 900 grains of sinew & 5 in. Reflex pulled to 22in @45 lb  Thanks !!
If you fear failure you will never Try !