Author Topic: DIY feather burner?  (Read 27497 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: DIY feather burner?
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 02:30:17 pm »
I successfully made one several months ago, very similar to Patrick's.  I used a 6v battery charger like Clint suggested.  For the burn wire I am using .045" stainless steel Mig welding wire, haven't had one burn up or lose its shape yet.

Stainless steel might wire,  I never thought about that.  I will get some and try that! Thanks Aaron.

Thanks Clint,  it was simple and cheap,  just the way I like it!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2017, 09:32:05 am »
Patrick, if you or anyone else needs any I can mail you some stainless weld wire, easier than buying a whole roll if you don't have access to any. Just pm me

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 06:29:32 pm »
Long time lurker first post.

I haven't figure out how to post pics since photobucket crapped out, but can do so when I figure it out.

Anyway the best success I've had for the burner wire is ribbon resistance wire that vapers use in their vaporizer.  For power I'm using a Variac Autotransformer, if you can find one these are awesome as they let you dial in the amount of heat you need.

The wire itself is a 2mm wide ribbon, can be bought online or vape shops.  It will slightly expand when heated but nothing like the round wires I've tried.

Hope this gives some ideas of options.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 02:07:18 am »
Welcome to PA!
Thank you for the info,  I may see if I can get one of those and try it as well.

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JEB

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 08:23:00 am »
I didn't have to make a feather burner as I got my dads Young feather burner from the 60's so I can't add to that but I just picked up a feather burning stick made by Howard Hills son Jerry Hill.  It allows me to slide a length of feather into the stick and then use my Young burner to burn the feather design.  I can burn almost any length of feather for future use.  No more tossing 3" of feather and no more choppers.  NOW if I can just convince my wife that burning feathers has a good smell to it.

On the sentimental side I can use all my dads old ribbons that he shaped.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 10:02:47 am »
Do you think there is an advantage to burning the fletch before or after attaching it to the arrow? My brain says after might be truer but it may just be covering for a crooked shaft or something.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 10:57:56 am »
After is the way my burner is made to do it.  Not sure how the consistency would be doing it before it was glued on. 

Patrick

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 10:59:25 am »
I burn after fletching to be sure the feathers are evenly shaped. You have to be careful not to scorch the shaft, binding or paint.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 11:30:08 am »
I think we as a group come up with a lot of neat jigs, tools, and such!  I like Patrick's set up, and will try to duplicate it. 
JEB, you might try smudging sage and/or sweet grass while doing the feathers!  White sage if you can find it!  Lots of Fabreze, maybe!
Good ideas everyone, thanks,
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 11:34:11 am »
Aaron,
Pm sent.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 11:12:30 pm »
Back in the 60's in dads Archery shop I used to fletch and then burn.  This stick gives me a chance to burn smaller feathers for kids arrows and not have so much feather waste.  I won't mess with it now until spring and we get back from the SW .

I also like to fletch pencils with 1" feathers and give them away to the young ones.  This gives me a chance to burn that size feather also.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 11:42:54 am »
JEB,
Can you post a pic of the feather stick?  Sounds like a neat idea.  Thanks,
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline JEB

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 01:19:04 pm »
Here you go. You slide the feather into the cut out slot.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 10:56:10 pm »
Thats cool,  I guess it would work almost like it was on the arrow.

Patrick

Offline JEB

« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2017, 07:09:35 am »
It does work like it is on the arrow. I just slide the feather out of the groove and snip the front and back of the feather to length .  I needed that thing like I needed a hole in my head but it does allow me to use smaller feathers for kids arrows rather than toss them.  That is the only reason I bought it.