Author Topic: '97 Jeep Cherokee Side window question  (Read 1559 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

'97 Jeep Cherokee Side window question
« on: March 19, 2017, 01:21:39 pm »
I rolled the window down the other day and now it is out of the track at the front of the window frame so that it wants to slide up between the molding and the door frame. 

I thought it would be a simple task of taking off the inner skin of the door and dealing with it, except that under the skin is more sheet metal and virtually no access to the inner working of the door. Certainly nowhere near enough access to reach in and fiddle with what is vexing me.  I have removed the lower molding on the inside and outside of the window and I can see where it needs to be fit into place. 

Any of your bodyfixers out there got a tip or two for me?  The sooner the better because is is spring in South Dakota and that means we have snow coming!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: '97 Jeep Cherokee Side window question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:34:23 pm »
When I had one of those and was in your predicament, I had to get my hand inside one of the holes of the second piece of sheet metal and push up on the glass enough to grab it at the top and pull it up. Then roll the window up to catch up with it and don't roll it down that far again.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:11:38 am »
I do a lot of the work on my vehicles, but when I run into something like that I pay someone to do it, whatever I would save $ wise from doing it myself is not worth the years coming off the end of my life dealing with that kind of bull, lol.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:12:16 pm »
A body shop should be able to give you info about a repair.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 04:09:49 pm »
I do a lot of the work on my vehicles, but when I run into something like that I pay someone to do it, whatever I would save $ wise from doing it myself is not worth the years coming off the end of my life dealing with that kind of bull, lol.

Thinking that is in my future...
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Balsatech

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 11:50:41 pm »
JW, I have fixed a few Windows on friends vehicles. Not my profession but I'm cheaper than a body shop. Most of what I have seen is spot welds from a bracket to the window track that has broken allowing the track to move around. I have opened up the inner panels with a whiz wheel rewelded the bracket back in place and then spotted the panel back closed. Good luck hope you can get it fixed without to much trouble. Joe