Author Topic: Bamboo arrows  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Red Arrow

Bamboo arrows
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:38:31 am »
I just got access to a full bamboo growth on the property behind me (approximately 10-15 square ft, pinky - 1" diameter, 12-15 ft tall). The power line people are completely clearing it as I type this. The land owner said I can have all I want of it. It has the alternating flat areas between the nodes where the leaves grow. Can it still be used for arrows with those flat lengths along it?
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline TimBo

Re: Bamboo arrows
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:36 pm »
I say grab as much as you can in the 3/8" (large end) to 5/16 (small end) range, or anywhere close.  Try to get three foot pieces or longer.  You can always use them for tomato stakes, etc.  The flatness shouldn't matter unless it is a lot flatter than I am picturing, and you can always post pictures once you have the materials in hand.  Go to it!!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:14:41 pm »
This inquiry might need to be in the arrow section.If the diameter can get to under 3/8" thick with good thick walls I din't see why it could'nt be used for arrow shafts.Possibly a good score for you.Others on here might know the species of bamboo your dealing with here.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:25:56 pm »
Sometimes that flat area is huge and makes it difficult(for me) to straighten them. More seeing that they're straight as opposed to physically straightening them. I've seen it where the flat spot went right to the next node. As long as you can get them straight I think they would work fine. Aesthetically though it leaves a bit to be desired (again, for me :D)

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 12:36:04 pm »
Sorry about posting here. I didn't realize there is a separate area for arrows. I'll repost this there. Thanks.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 01:38:35 pm »
I'll move this to arrows
Sounds like river cane. Where do you live?  River cane will make good arrows but it usually has very pronounced nodes, thin walls and large diameter center hole. I don't care for it because the arrows are a bit noisy when drawn because of the large nodes but the arrows fly well if made well.  Like Timbo said cut them long from the top of the culms(canes). this way you can find the correctly spined shafts for your arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 02:52:57 pm »
you should get a bunch of the plants and then you could grow your own... :)
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 03:34:30 pm »
I wish I could but the only place I could plant it is under the power line like my neighbor did. Then the power company would just come cut it down like they're doing at my neighbors.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 04:02:56 pm »
what about in a planter of some type?  small trashcan or Tupperware tote...
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 04:07:34 pm »
That would probably work but I don't think I could fit many plants in a tub or trash can.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:06 pm »
I believe that is a type black bamboo ...I have had some of that stuff and it is very hard to make arrows out of... hard to straighten and the spine is all over the place... river canes node is only pronounce a little compared to this boo.

Red Arrow....if we can find a time and place to meet to get you that stave...I've got some dry river cane I'll give you to try.
Just let me know...
DBar
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 07:38:44 am by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 07:56:57 pm »
That'd be great. I've been wanting to get some Rivercane far awhile. Do you know where I can also get Rivercane with around a 1" diameter?
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2017, 08:06:17 pm »
1" diameter is at rivercane's max ...3/4 is fairly common.  I had a lot of cane on my place until about three winters ago when it got down to -25 deg for a few nights in a row it killed most all I had.  It has made a come back but this is the third winter and is just now getting old enough to harvest.....  There may be a few large pieces that made it though that winter, I just haven't looked lately for big stuff.....I'll check next time I'm out there.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 03:13:51 am »
Okay. Thanks. I'd appreciate it.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 05:12:39 pm »