Author Topic: Recook?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline paulc

Recook?
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:17:29 pm »
These pics are of mostly OH flint ridge stuff, but also some Texas stuff bought off of ebay.  You can see what the stone did to my brand new copper boppers.  And now I can't get much of a flake off without shattering the whole stone whether I use the boppers or my hammer stones.  The deer antler won't do anything at all and my copper punch takes flakes that at best travel 1/4" but generally less.  I certainly can't get any flakes to push to the middle of the stones at this point.  I was thinking that maybe the cooking helped soften the outer layers of stone and as I flaked that away the remaining stone has maybe gotten harder...?  Would that fit with others experience?  I held all this stuff in a turkey roaster overnight at about 200 and then over the following day worked it up to 450 and left the stones there overnight.  Unplugged in the morning and allowed to cool.  I only had one nodule of Texas stuff that was fractured beyond use. 

How likely am I too overcook this stuff if I repeated that process?  I thought I might do the turkey roaster like I have been and then take them into a preheated oven in my kitchen and push them up to 500...?  Bad idea?

Paul

Offline paulc

Re: Recook?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:34:58 pm »
another pic

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 01:24:30 pm »
It doesn't appear to me that you overcooked them yet. I don't have any experience with Ohio stone. I have just a little experience cooking period. If it overcooked it becomes very brittle and just fractures into pieces. I'm thinking you might need more heat but not sure about the moving to preheated oven. I'm pretty sure some guys use charcoal grill to. I e always just done like you did. I usually start more conservative and if it's not enough get more aggressive. Maybe someone else will give you more specific advice. Good Luck from here looks like some nice stone with some fantastic platforms. Maybe a bit on the large side yet for cooking
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 02:19:57 pm »
That looks like some pretty stone! I want some >:D

Offline Sasquatch

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:19 pm »
To answer your question.  There is no such thing as Recooking,  If you dont see a change essentially all you did was get heat the stone up.  It has to reach a certain temp before it solidifies more.  Different rock different temps.  So because you have already dried the rock out you can go pretty quickly up to temp without blowing it up.

If you want to use your stove you can, just unplug it carry it outside and away from the house to protect family from toxic gasses, make sure you have replacement glass for when rocks blow up, and don't worry about bringing it back in because there will be nasty smell in the food from then on.  >:D    SOOOOOOO.... DONT USE IT.   
But it is up to you...

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 01:03:47 am »
I'm pretty sure Flint Ridge likes to get up to 600 degrees or so. Most fryers only go up to 500 on the dial. If you keep the rock closer to the edges of the pan instead of the middle it should go above 500. Don't know if it will get to 600 but there's only one way to find out.

Good luck.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline paulc

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 10:37:29 am »
So I tried the bag of charcoal method the other day on a small portion of my OH stone.  Not much seems to have changed about the stone-I am guessing maybe I had too much sand between the stones and the fire so I have another bag of coal going with less sand.  Will see if it makes a difference.  I also broke down and found some "cooked to perfection" Flint Ridge material online.  If it is true as advertised then at least I would have an idea of what I am trying to accomplish with my cooking.

Will let you know what happens when this current fire cools off.

Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 12:10:04 pm »
God luck Paul. I'll be watching to see how it turns out
Bjrogg

Offline paulc

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:47 pm »
So I managed to get this out of a flake that I cooked once in the charcoal grill.  I couldn't get it thin enough but that blue line just makes me happy!  Hopefully tomorrow after today's burn has cooled the stuff will flake a bit better.  I used a stone and whitetail tine to do this point.  Both my copper boppers have busted at this point.   This is flint ridge material.

Paul

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
Looks pretty  :OK
Bjrogg