Author Topic: Making arrows from tree shoots  (Read 3530 times)

Offline ty_in_ND

Making arrows from tree shoots
« on: March 10, 2017, 04:43:32 pm »
So, I tried doing a Google search and didn't find anything on my own, so I'm going to ask here!  As a bit of a long-term project, I would like to make some arrows to go with a Chippewa-style bow I have in mind.  I found some info from our state's only Chippewa  reservation saying they would make arrows from Juneberry (Saskatoon/Serviceberry) shoots.  I have a connection with someone who has two 30' rows of Juneberry shrubs, so I thought I would try to go this route to get some shafts!

So, here are my questions: When would be the best time to harvest the shoots?  How do you process/season them?  Do they need to be as-straight-as-possible or is it possible to get an arrow shaft from a curved shoot?

If I think of any more, I'll ask!  Thanks again for your time.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 12:09:29 am by ty_in_ND »
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Making arrows from tree shoots
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 05:29:29 pm »
I've never used service berry but I love hardwood shoot arrows. You should get as straight a shoot as you can. You can straighten with heat if not too severe. Be sure they are second year growth or older. Second year growth will have small branches along the stem instead of just leaf scars and buds. Have a 3/8" open end wrench with you to gauge the diameter of the shoots you cut. I cut hardwood shoots and cane this time of year, bundle them(I use rubber bands) and set them aside for a few months in a cool dry place. Once dry, remove the bark. I do this with the sharp back edge of my bypass cutters. A knife will work if held at 90 degrees from the shoot.. You can use your bow scraper for this too.
I usually straighten once seasoned but some hand straighten as they season every few days without heat until they are seasoned.
 Check the h"How To" section. Jackcrafty has a few build alongs about Native American arrow making that might be a help.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 05:43:17 pm »
Fall and spring are good times to harvest, because the leaves are down and you can see the shaft better.  Gentle curves can be straightened easily.  Kinks cannot, even little ones.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 01:02:59 am »
Serviceberry makes a great arrow. Cut it anytime. Now would be good. Seasons pretty easily never had a problem with it checking. Usually leave the bark on for a few weeks, but i have peeled them right away too and not have a problem. Straighten them daily while green for a few days until they hold their shape, bundle, season for a while. Longer the better. Heat straightens pretty good. It's one of my favorite shaft material. Cut a bunch if you got the opertunity. Cheers- Brendan

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 10:05:45 am »
Thanks for the info Pat, Jeff, and Brendan!

I always forget about checking the how-to section. That arrow build along plus what you 3 said should steer me in the right direction.

Since it's fun to do, I'll be sure to post updates when I get at it. Probably not this weekend though... Wind chills around -20F is always fun to work in...
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 10:29:23 am »
I wrote a lot of stuff years back on making arrows from shoots. I have it all posted here and it covers most everything you need to learn to be a good arrow maker.
https://boweyrsden.wordpress.com/

I don't have much info on the use of Service berry.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."