Author Topic: Differences in knapping obsidian and flint?  (Read 21778 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Differences in knapping obsidian and flint?
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:33:35 am »
Don't know if any of you have noticed this difference but I find that I have to use a lot more strength when striking flint and follow through to peal flakes off of a flint biface where as on obsidian its more like a tap with no follow through. Any of you notice this too? Or have you seen other differences?

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Sleddman

Re: Differences in knapping obsidian and flint?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 01:44:57 am »
There is a big difference.  Remember obsidian is vulcanic glass.  Just rember that you have to reduce the size and weight of your billet or hammer stone, copper bopper when striking obsidian. a small tap even with less weight may give you the same size flake as with much heavier weight will give you with flint or chert. Always make good platforms so you wont just crush a thin edge.  Good luck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 02:33:41 am »
You need to try smacking some of that raw Texas chert if you think there was a difference in those two.  Some rocks are softer like obsidian, others are hard or super hard. Then there is the rock that Cowboy has.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 12:55:22 pm »
Yessir!! Justin, hahahha >:D. I have to remember to back waaaaay off when I try a peice of obs ;D. Some of this stuff I have, I'm taking full roundhouse swings to get those big flakes off and hope like hell I don't miss ;D ;D...Youch! - bood >:D..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:17:08 pm »
Justin, you need to try some good grainy rhyolite or quartzite. Makes Cowboy's perd look like obsidian.  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 02:46:23 pm »
Justin, you need to try some good grainy rhyolite or quartzite. Makes Cowboy's perd look like obsidian.  ;D
I need to find me a big solid piece of copper and a couple of baseball bats to smack it with first.  My tools would probably qualify as dentist tools like Eddie's.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 02:55:23 pm »
 I hardly ever use anything but antler with obsidian,lately however,I have been knapping flint that friends have sent from down south(Mostly Texass) and I am using hammerstones for the percussion,(not so much with the heat treated rock though) Man some of that stuff is tough !   Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 04:11:25 pm »
Justin, the copper wouldn't do you much good with either one of those. Seems like the harder the material is, the softer billet you need.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:30:05 pm »
Think I will try some boppers without lead in the tip and see how they work. But have you also noticed you have to change your stiking angles also?

Paul, tried knapping some more of that rock you sent me. I have to say that I think I like obsidian a lot more! Thanks though! Have you made a point yet from the obsidian I sent ya? Cant wait to see the points you make from it.

David T
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »
Naw, haven't had a chance to hit it yet. Got it in the mail and hit the road, it's sittin in the shop waitin on me. That bi-face you put in there was in two peices when it arrived - it was ready to be pressure flaked into existance. Oh well, two smallish points now :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline D. Tiller

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 08:41:45 pm »
Dang! I was hoping you could do somethin with it.  ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 09:40:41 pm »
 Steve, Claude uses nothing but a copper cap on the end of a piece of wood for Ryolite. You've seen his thin points. And when I'm spalling Obsidean I like a moose billet. It seems to "peel" longer flakes off.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

wvfknapper

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 09:52:23 pm »
Justin, the copper wouldn't do you much good with either one of those. Seems like the harder the material is, the softer billet you need.

Hillbilly

I can do pretty good using copper boppers on the ryolite,, and even some of the metal looking quartzite,, ya just got to really abrade the edges and swing it fast..........We got a chert here called Black Kanawha aka "The Rock from Hell" and it's what I cut my teeth on,, have you ever worked any? Some of it is nice, most is grainy.

wvflintknapper

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 09:39:52 am »
Copper works fairly well on the good rhyolite, like the green stuff. I just don't like to knap with copper-I've been swinging antler so long that I just can't get the hang of using copper. Step, step, step, stack, break, break. Robert, I've never tried the Kanawha, but I'd like to. I like working the tough stuff sometimes.
Smoky Mountains, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:26 pm »
Steve, I was just referring to knocking off spawls.  Justin

SW Utah