Author Topic: Plugged barrel?  (Read 10096 times)

Offline Red Arrow

Plugged barrel?
« on: March 14, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »
I bought a CVA Plainsman 50 cal with an octagon barrel a couple years ago but have not been able to shoot it yet. So far I have pulled 2 bullets out of the barrel but the rod still stops about where the rear site is located on the barrel. I have already broke 1 brass bullet puller getting those 2 bullets out. Now I'm wondering if the barrel is plugged as a display piece only. Any advice would be appreciated.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Stoker

Re: Plugged barrel?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »
You might have to get a smith to look at it.. Might have to pull the breach plug.. Do you have access to a inspection camera.. the kind Lowes sells for about $100.00 to see down the bore if there are more balls down there..
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 04:52:14 pm »
No, I don't have access to an inspection camera. As for pulling the breach plug, I thought about that but everything I could find online about the rifle said to NEVER pull the breach plug.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 10:21:58 pm »
If I am not mistaken, the CVA caplock barrels have a "press fit" breech that is locked into place by the drum being jammed into the barrel with a high pressure press.  I had to rebreech a CVA after sawing off the old breech when it could not be turned out. 

If you got two balls out and there is still something stuck in there, chances are that was a gun that was owned and operated by someone for whom safety was a foreign thing.  Their lack of understanding of safety is often coupled with a utter disregard for proper after-care when they come home from shooting.  You might wanna relegate it to wall hanger before it has a chance to kill ya.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 10:41:03 pm »
Everything else on the gun looks great other than needing the barrel reblued. I'm any event, I want to get it shootable before just dismissing it as a decoration.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 12:02:16 am »
RedArrow,
I agree find a gunsmith that knows ML guns, it sounds like some idiot kept punching charges on top of a dry ball and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire.  Try the NMLRA website, they may have a listing of knowledgeable gunsmiths in your area, besides we need more members😀 >:D :-M!  Hate to see a fine  weapon relegated to the wall before it's time.  Good luck in your search.  Btw, where are you?
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2017, 12:57:56 am »
Thanks Hawkdancer. My main preference is primative archery but I also enjoy BP shooting and hunting which is why I got this gun. I'm in north central KY.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Gordon

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2017, 01:19:00 am »
Remove the nipple and soak the lower barrel in hot water for a while. That should loosen things up a bit. Then try to remove the remaining balls with a ball puller or CO2.
Gordon

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2017, 02:20:17 am »
I don't have a nipple wrench and don't want to mess it up by trying to use anything else. That's the problem. 😞 I need to get one but I 2as hoping somebody on here could give alternatives.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2017, 08:57:07 am »
One thing that works is to pull the nipple and put a grease fitting with the same thread in the nipple hole and pump grease into the beech to push the obstruction out.

You may be able to clear the obstruction but I suspect it is going to be a challenge.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2017, 10:38:40 am »
You might try an air compressor use a rubber tipped sprayer to try to make a tight seal on the nipple to try and blow it out. Good luck!
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2017, 11:58:24 am »
I would recommend the co2 method as well.  You can buy a kit that threads into the drum in place of the nipple that uses co2 cartridges to blow obstructions out of the barrel.  The grease gun idea sounds feasible as well.  I hadn't heard of that approach before.
JW- close on the press fit.  They are threaded, but the plug is oversized.  They heat the breech up to expand it, thread in the plug and index it.  Then when the barrel cools and shrinks it sweats in the plug or press fits the threads in other words.  The drum does indeed thread through into the breech plug as you stated.  So the drum or touch hole liner on flintlocks has to be removed first.  There is a procedure to removing these breech plugs, but since it requires heat it is not an option in this situation.  Since there is more than likely a charge of powder in there somewhere .  If you go with co2, remember that the obstruction will come out with great force if it does indeed come out, so be prepared for that.  Here's a cva breech plug from a kentucky flintlock.  Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »
What Gun Doc said about coming out with great force. I tried the 4F powder through the nipple hole. didn't think much powder went in, but the cleaning jag came out, through my shop wall and into my neighbors shop next door. It was embarrassing to knock on his door and ask if I could get my cleaning jag back. :embarassed:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:58:48 pm by mullet »
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2017, 08:21:31 pm »
I can see how that might be a little embarrassing.  Lol!  I'd be worried about any method other than the old pull the ball with the jag on this situation.  Who knows how much powder was poured in between balls.  You might keep an eye out on the big auction sight.  I've seen barrels listed for that rifle on occasion.  The last one I seen went for a C-note plus shipping.  Cheaper than a prosthetic hand or worse if something goes wrong.  Josh
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 08:58:20 pm by mullet »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2017, 08:31:04 pm »
Ron,
Good to meet you tonight, hope you enjoy working on that hickory stave......
I shoot BP all the time and have made a few to boot.  I think I would do as Gordon noted soak the barrel in "soapy" water just incase a powder charge is there and used a bullet puller.  I've done it before and put the barrel in a padded vise and used both hands to pull a patched ball out.......I'm assuming the balls you pulled were patched??
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking