Author Topic: Help buying a bandsaw?  (Read 12394 times)

Offline Selfbowman

Re: Help buying a bandsaw?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2017, 01:30:56 am »
Nice saw. I love my old 14" grisly. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:21 am »
I was just thinking I haven't used a power tool on the last 3 bows I'm working on I can work at 3:00 am & not wake any body up but had more time then usual this year but that saw will be a real time saver for ruffing out future bows for you but things can go south in a hurry especially for belly tappers I think OO mentioned about tuning the saw it can make a huge difference in performance & different blades on my saw have different tunes , I don't know about that saw but be careful after you turn the power off the blade keeps turning on mine for like 3 minutes from the inertia of the wheels I cut my finger bad enough that I need stitches before , I like the larger work surface on your saw !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2017, 06:27:03 am »
Great choice, keep it tuned and keep a shape blade on it and you will run it for years and years. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 09:42:11 pm »
Very nice, hope you saved a few bucks for a shop vacuum. That thing is gonna make some dust. Don't even try without dust collection unless you're workshop is outdoors lol.

I use a large shop vacuum for mine and it works fine. Just need a 2.5" to 4" adapter. A dust collector would be better but not strictly necessary.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2017, 05:46:52 am »
Dust collectors are easy to rationalise to the wife , you get lots of fine saw dust for garden mulch if she gardens , I think there is some economical portable dust collectors on wheels for about the same price as a shop vac , its surprising how much saw dust you create !

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2017, 01:00:13 pm »
Very nice, hope you saved a few bucks for a shop vacuum. That thing is gonna make some dust. Don't even try without dust collection unless you're workshop is outdoors lol.

I use a large shop vacuum for mine and it works fine. Just need a 2.5" to 4" adapter. A dust collector would be better but not strictly necessary.

I've got a shop vac. where do I pick up an adapter?
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
Woodcraft or any wood working store  :KN

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2017, 05:05:39 pm »
Well either someone's got a serious drinking problem in the parts department at Grizzly or I'm just incredibly unlucky. When my bandsaw arrived it was missing the feet and some washers and nuts. I called, told them what I was missing, and they sent it out. I got it today and they sent the wrong washers and nuts! I'm sure it's a great company and the saw will be great but this has been sooooo annoying!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( It's all stuff I can get at a hardware store so that's what I'll do. Sorry for the negativity guys, I just had to vent. Thanks :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2017, 05:57:05 pm »
That stinks.  I would give them another call. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2017, 07:44:07 pm »
Thanks for the empathy OO. I called them just to let them know what happened. The woman on the phone was a sweetheart. I just thought they should know so it doesn't happen to anyone else.

Nigerian Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2017, 08:17:21 pm »
Sorry to hear that.I'm sure they'll make it right with ya.Squeeky wheel gets the grease.Remember that.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2017, 08:35:55 pm »
I will. Thanks Ed ;)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2017, 09:36:45 pm »
Mine came with all the parts but I struggled with the blade tensioner assembly.  Also, the sliding rip fence on mine had sharp corners where it slid across the front.  It put deep scratches in the aluminum when I tested it out.  I took it off and used pliers to curl back the corners so it wouldn't make any more scratches. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #58 on: April 09, 2017, 08:24:30 pm »
Well guys, I'm just about as happy as a pig in... well, you know.  (-_) This thing is absolutely amazing. I had a friend who makes electric bass guitars come over and show me all about it before I tried it out. I just roughed out a bow in about 30 minutes!  8)

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DC

« Reply #59 on: April 09, 2017, 08:43:48 pm »
Go slow. You'll probably find a few more in the OPPS! bin now :D