Author Topic: Sizing?  (Read 4508 times)

Offline bushboy

Sizing?
« on: March 19, 2017, 05:25:22 pm »
Howdy!after many failures through the years I'm about ready to try some lam bow again.i have titebond 3 and seem to always stave my glue joints mostly because I hate gaps in my glue ups with a passion!was wonder if sizing might help?for etc putting a thin layer on both pieces and allow to dry prior to glue up?thx's bush!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

Re: Sizing?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 06:29:38 pm »
Just use epoxy and eliminate the variables.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 06:52:08 pm »
Yes pat,but I hate the smell of that stuff and Uber messy!question not answered though.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 07:08:57 pm »
Yes. Sizing both pieces helps, but I still greatly prefer Smooth On for most applications... properly prepared of course. Starved glue joints and failures are virtually non-existent then.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 07:13:45 pm »
Another benefit that I exploited today on two different bows is the ability to heat and correct alignment on epoxy glued bows... multiple times if necessary. These were bamboo backed trilams of considerable d/r. I won't quit until they're as good as I can make em.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 07:16:03 pm »
 Bushboy, What type were you using? Many of them don't seem to smell much, at least to me.

You'll get varying opinions on whether TB likes to bond to a cured layer. It creeps though so I have no use for it.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 07:22:38 pm »
Good points pat and dances thanks!

Offline aaron

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 07:23:36 pm »
Sizing will not help bad glue joints with TB glues. It is a good idea to do it, but you also need well fitted joints
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 07:47:51 pm »
I used unibond just yesterday to glue some bamboo to some ipe,  it has very little smell, and is quite tolerable. I bought it by the gallon this time around, I love the stuff.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:12:21 pm »
Sizing with TB3 is not recommended. All you would be doing is sticking glue onto glue, not glue to wood. =Weaker joint. Sizing is really only useful on end grain which can suck glue into the fibres and leave a glue starved joint. Not the type of joint that you use when gluing laminations, its all long grain to long grain. Sizing is also useful with a glue like hide glue which can be reactivated with heat or moisture.
With TB3 prep the surfaces, brush the glue on. By the time you are ready to put the pieces together you can check  see if you need to brush on more, recoat if necessary then clamp.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 10:45:37 pm »
Try Weldwood Plastic Resin. It is mixed with water and has good gap filing properties. I found it to be similar to Urac. You can get it at ACE Hardware or other places that carry Weldwood products...and it's pretty cheap.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 03:36:12 am »
Prepare your lams properly, do dry runs to see if there are any gaps. No need to 'size' with TB3, Titebond don't recommend it so don't do it! Simple!
Clamping should be firm but not overly tight.
I've made a few hundred laminated elbs with TB3 in the past and never had one single issue with it. If you follow what the manufacture says for surface prep you will have no problems too.
Good luck :)
Depending on what sort of bow you are making and tools you have I would highly recommend getting the lams as good as you can then find yourself a local cabinet makers shop and ask them to run the lams through their drum sander. It will only take a few minutes and the mating surfaces will be perfect. Making lam bows is like making a house of cards....the foundations are vitally important....if your lams are badly prepared it may all come crashing down!

Offline DC

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 12:11:47 pm »
Are you using rubber strips for clamping?

Offline bushboy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 01:23:11 pm »
dc.yes.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 01:43:16 pm »
pat what epoxy do you use and where do you get it?thxs