Author Topic: tools for knapping? (beginner)  (Read 3292 times)

Offline Ben Cooper

tools for knapping? (beginner)
« on: March 20, 2017, 09:35:08 pm »
Hi all, I am wanting to get started in knapping now that i have completed my bow... is there any tools that you can make yourself from items most woodworkers / bowyers would have in there garage / shop? i am hoping to be resourceful and use what i have lying around instead of spending money.

for example, could you replace a antler / copper flaker with a nail inserted into a piece of wood etc?

I've look through out the web and all i seem to find is either antler or copper, so i am not sure if that is telling me something or not, but surely there has to be other tools / materials that can be used, even if they are less effective?

Regards
Ben

Offline Chippintuff

Re: tools for knapping? (beginner)
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 10:21:24 pm »
Nails can be used for pressure flakers. The softer the metal in them, the better they work. Hard nails tend to slide off the rock rather than "grip" the edge and pop a flake off. Horse shoe nails are nice and soft and work pretty well. Harder nails can be used, but the technique needs to be tailored to them.

If you have any copper pipe, you can flatten it and use it for pressure flaking or shearing. Aluminum can be used. If you have any of that lying around, give it a try.

WA

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 10:24:30 pm »
Copper wire, aluminum works too. Antler. Horseshoe nails work. Anything soft enough to grip the stone, but hard enough to keep its form. I have read about wooden percussion tools, as well as bone. Copper wire is by far the easiest thing to come by. 1/8 - 3/8 " diameter wire, or rods. Hammer stones as well. Hope that helps. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 12:23:29 am »
Ben, my go to everyday percussion tool is a 1" copper plumbing cap filled half way with tire weight lead JB Weld it to a pc of broom handle and go to it.  :KN  I dome my caps first with a pc of re-bar that I shaped up with a grinder.  The only draw back to this type of cap is that they are soft and will wear thru in and need replaced about every 4 to 6 months if knapping often. I have been knapping for about 9 yrs and have bought numerous solid copper bopper and  to this day my favorite daily tool is my plumbing caps filled with lead. Hope this helps , Bob

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 06:53:17 am »
I have made most of my knapping tools.  Go to a box store, IE: Home Depot or the like and you can buy 12" of 1/4" copper grounding rod for around a dollar. That will make you a few pressure flakers by inserting 3" or so in the end of on old broom handle.  I also make my own boppers but taking a butt cap and round it out using a stove bolt which has a rounded end on it and then filling 1/2 way with lead.

Go to youtube and ask your questions on knapping and many videos will come up to help you along including making your own tools.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 07:10:59 am »
I do the same as outback and Jeb. Pretty much everything you need for knapping can easily be found or made. You will also want a coarse piece of grinder stone for "abrading". A piece of rubber or leather for a hand pad. Also something for a pad for your leg. It's probably a good idea to have a canvas or tarp you can work over to catch most of the sharp flakes. And number one is determination it takes a lot of that.lol. It's very relaxing if you don't let it totally frustrate you.  :-K :KN
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 08:41:53 am »
All good info given and if you start knapping and like it then you will eventually want to get better tools. As an absolute basic "home set" of tools I would suggest finding two sizes of hard stone. One the size of a chicken egg and the other a baseball. You can reduce rock to workable shape with practice. A 16 penny nail placed in the end of a broom handle 18" long. Another 4" piece of handle with a smaller nail for notching. These are not the best but you can make points with these tools. Good Luck and enjoy the journey!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Ben Cooper

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:08:20 pm »
Thanks all, cant wait to get started!