Author Topic: Camper Roof?  (Read 10955 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Camper Roof?
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:43 am »
I bought the camper I took to Marshall from my brother. He sold it to me cheap but the roof needs work. I kinda wanted to replace the whole rubber roof and some spots where I know the plywood is poor underneath but my son got some epdm liqiud roof. It's not cheap stuff I think it was something like $425 with the shipping. It has a ten year warranty. Anyone use this stuff? I'd appreciate any feedback
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Camper Roof?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 12:44:30 pm »
Cant speak for that product, BJ. I and a friend have used roll-on truck bed liner with great results. Its cheap and effective.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 12:54:01 pm »
Thanks for the reply Pearl. This stuff is supposed to be good stuff. It bonds right to the original roof and I believe is actually the same material but liquid. It is a two part product and once catalysts is mixed in has to be applied in 4 hours
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2017, 01:10:54 pm »
Its probably a better product, but depending on how long that trailer goes down the road it may not be worth it. If its a 3-5 year camper a 10-15 year roof might not be worth the investment. Just food for thought.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 01:17:29 pm »
It's a pretty old camper, other than the roof it seems to be in good shape and I sure can't buy a new one. Got the stuff here unless someone tells me a horror story I'll probably use it. I just don't like that there's a spot with poor plywood underneath
Bjrogg

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 01:36:52 pm »
Yah, you might want to cut the bad plywood out and fill it in with fresh stuff, if possible.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 03:41:14 pm »
If enough water got in to rot the roof you have to wonder what kind of shape the rafters are in.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 06:38:33 pm »
Yup DC I just stripped everything off. I'm going to replace plywood and also some rafters. I could be a idiot but I'll be a busy idiot. Hopefully when I'm done I'll be a idiot with a really nice roof on a 1999 24' Cherokee travel trailer. Might have to make it to a lot of PA meets to make this all worthwhile. ::)
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 06:46:00 pm »
You will be glad you are doing the repairs the next time you are camping during a down pour. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 07:00:28 pm »
You will be glad you are doing the repairs the next time you are camping during a down pour.
[/quote
Yup and this is a good excuse to go on more PA trips
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 07:03:04 pm »
Yup DC I just stripped everything off. I'm going to replace plywood and also some rafters. I could be a idiot but I'll be a busy idiot. Hopefully when I'm done I'll be a idiot with a really nice roof on a 1999 24' Cherokee travel trailer. Might have to make it to a lot of PA meets to make this all worthwhile. ::)
Bjrogg
They build those things so dern tight. If the water gets in, it can't get out. Just sits in there and feeds decay. Are you going to use the liquid EPDM right on the new plywood?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 07:27:17 pm »
No D.C. My brother decided to use the liquid on his camper it's still in good shape. I got a epdm film rubber roof kit. Supposed to have the rubber sheet. Sealer to glue it down and 4 tubes of caulk.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:49:40 am »
I got everything off the roof and trim all off yesterday. It's
Ready to pull old rubber off now and it obviously needs attention. I'm hoping I can pull off all the OSB, wet insulation, replace board above plate and sister scabs on any truss that need help today. That could be overly optimistic but if I got that far I'd be thrilled. Wasted to much time yesterday preparing surface for the liquid epdm. Most of it had to be done except scrapping off the dicor from the membrane I'm going to throw out anyway. I might try to take a few pictures and kinda do a build along. I'm sure others will have this problem someday. They might not be as big of idiots as me though.lol. I'm committed now or else I'm camperless.
Bjrogg
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:52:55 am by bjrogg »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 07:26:19 am »
I'd like to see pictures of your progress.  Sounds like you are fixing it the right way.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:37 am »
Well Clint, I'm sure you already know. To go forward on a project like this first you gotta go backwards. So here's some ugly pictures of my "progress" all in reverse so far.lol.
Got everything off top of roof and trim holding membrane on off.
Bjrogg