Author Topic: Camper Roof?  (Read 10982 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Camper Roof?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2017, 08:32:07 am »
Exposed one rafter in one of the worst spots, also board over plate. Might be hard to see but I'm pinching them between my fingers. It seems like there might be good wood just a foot or so in from the edge, at least the optimistic part of me thinks so
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2017, 08:35:52 am »
From inside camper no obvious damage just a few very small stains. Hopefully won't have to do anything in there.
Bjrogg

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2017, 09:22:25 am »
Once that danged OSB starts getting wet it's a rot sponge. Good luck with your repair job.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2017, 09:35:28 am »
Dig a hole and bury that poor thing, Paul! :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2017, 09:55:55 am »
I got the membrane off and it doesn't look as bad as I thought it would actually. I think if I can get the OSB off without to much trouble I can remove wet insulation and sister scabs on rafters. Pearl I'm used to working on old junk like this. I think I can have it ready for the membrane in 3 days but I'm very optimistic until I'm pessimistic.lol. Gotta be less work than Clint's RRII. A few more pictures. Not as ugly as I thought they would be.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:16 am »
I've got faith in you BJ.  That doesn't look as bad as I expected.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2017, 11:09:05 am »
Thanks Clint it looks better than I expected to. So far everything is coming apart good to. I was worried about removing OSB figured it would be glued down but has come off good so far. I just remove it from section I want to replace outside board and scab sisters on rafters for now.
A few more pictures removed rotted wood and wet insulation. Will replace outside board and scab two plywood sisters on poor rafters.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2017, 11:12:12 am »
Are you going to airbrush some cool graphics on it once you get it all repaired?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2017, 11:29:34 am »
Lol Clint, I was thinking since it's a Cherokee I might put a native on horseback drawing a bow to shoot all the idiots passing me up. The back would be cool to have same thing but rear view. Passenger side a teepee and village. God my brain gets carried away sometimes.lol
Bjrogg

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2017, 11:50:16 am »
Put that NA on the back drawing a bow and saying "BACK OFF" for the tailgaters.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2017, 12:01:10 pm »
Like your thinking Pat. We gotta get one of those computer wizards to get us a emowhateveryoucallthem of a NA on horseback. That'd be real cool. I gotta get my project fix first I'm full speed reverse right now
Bjrogg

Offline rps3

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2017, 12:54:08 pm »
Following along because I should be doing this with mine. I am sure I will pick up some pointers. Having a roof to work under like you do would help out so much.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:09 pm »
Rps3 I feel your pain. For probably half my life we fixed everything outside in the snow, mud, rain and hot sun. I am so fortunate to have a nice shop to work in. This project is going to have to move along though cause it can't stay in here for long.
I made a cardboard template of the rafters and marked it out on plywood. I went to my neighbors and used his bandsaw to cut them out. He was in the mood for company so I had to visit with him for a bit.
I notched out the sisters for wire and drilled holes for bolts. Also made some spacers for where rafters were rotted away. I glued, bolted and clamped the scabbed sisters to the rafters. 3 down 3 to go in this area. I have a bad spot in the front to. I think what happened was that previous owners changed fabric on awning and attached rafters for it in different spot leaving old hole open. Once a little moisture gets in it's like D.C. Said it never dries then OSB soaks it up membrane becomes lose and starts to flap wearing holes and well you know. I didn't get quite as far as I wanted to but still made pretty good progress and have a working plan. All in all I'm happy
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2017, 06:25:49 pm »
Rps3 I can see that as soon as you see it needs this done it should be done. The longer it's not fixed the worst the rafters and ceiling will get. Good Luck and if you have any questions fill free to PM me.
Bjrogg

Offline rps3

« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2017, 06:43:22 pm »
Thanks. I appreciate it. I have a hybrid where water got in and rotted the fold out beds. I took them off and did rebuild those, but I also had some roof leakage that I patched and just braced the spongy floor from underneath. My floor is just Styrofoam sandwiched between 2 thin sheets of luan. There really is no easy fix. I just need to decide weather to put the work into it, or just use it as long as I can as is.