Author Topic: Camper Roof?  (Read 10974 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Camper Roof?
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2017, 07:02:25 pm »
You see the finish line light through the tunnel of construction though bjrogg.A little time/money/and effort will be worth it.
There's no doubt in my mind sooner or later your air brush will be used....lol.It's good you got time to put exactly on there what you would like.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »
Thanks Ed. Better than seeing light through the trailer roof.lol. I just pulled off a section of OSB by bad spot in front. Just 2 bad trusses but there pretty bad. I get em fixed though. Sometimes you gotta see the end before you start or you'll never start. Like I said before used to fixing old junk. Don't know if this one will make it but it could be my retirement home some day. Just the right size for the wife and I. Sure be nice to have a fancy airbrush painting on the outside for all those PA meets we'll be attending
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 07:36:42 pm »
Here's where I've been little more to do There Yet than here's where I'm going. After I fix trusses I'll take all of OSB off and replace.
Bjrogg

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 07:55:11 pm »
A friend of mine had an old,old trailer, All rotted out. He'd put pieces of plywood on the soft spot on the floor and glued a blue tarp on the roof. When he got to where he was going to camp he drove stakes in the ground and then tied ropes from the trailer to the stakes. Then he adjusted the ropes until the door didn't bind any more. Poured himself a rum and sat back. he enjoyed camping as much if not more than the guys with the $100,000 motor homes.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 08:21:33 pm »
Maybe that'll be my retirement home DC.lol.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 09:21:04 pm »
You have made a lot of progress in a short amount of time BJ.    That thing will be good as new in no time.   

I saw my first attempt at a camper build on craigslist tonight.  It looks like its in rough shape.  The guy I traded it to must not have taken good care of it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 09:43:22 pm »
Thanks Clint, I think I'm on schedule to be ready for putting membrane on in two more days. Not going to put it on till it's ready though. Lots of little things you can do to make them last longer
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 01:52:48 pm »
Had to get some supplies this morning. Picked up six sheets of 3/8 plywood. I was going to get thieir cheaper sheeting but didn't think it was smooth enough. It might have worked there was just OSB on before but I decided to spend the extra $12 a sheet for some really nice smooth stuff. I also got some liquid nail, thought it would probably work better than tight bond II. Also some screws.
I finished up the 3 rotted trusses in poor back section. Very back one I had to do a little different. I couldn't sister back of truss so I made rotted out part from a 2x6. Then I used liquid nail to scab sister on front of old truss and piece I made to replace rotted part. I temporarily put a plywood pad on back of trailer to keep from making marks on dents when I clamped it. Now to the front.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2017, 10:38:21 pm »
The front two trusses where in really bad shape. I decided to make complete trusses for them. I made them from a 2x6 and the one needed a hole for air conditioning duct. I finished removing all the rotted wood. I cleaned and vacuumed the top and put a fan on it to dry it up better. Hopefully tomorrow I will put last two trusses in fasten them all down and then I'll remove the rest of OSB. I think I might wait to get everything completely dry before I put insulation and new plywood on. The really hard messy work is done now. Now I don't have to go backwards anymore. These pictures are before I removed rotted wood and vacuumed
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 10:43:09 pm »
Here's back section rafters all repaired
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 10:59:36 pm »
Looking good.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 11:41:11 pm »
Your gaining.Does'nt look near the mess it did.I love that liquid nails.It stays.
Now does a person test all the lighting and things electric before buttoning it all up?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:55:09 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2017, 06:58:44 am »
Thanks Clint and Ed, I should have taken picture after vacuumed. It's good to have all the rotted stuff off and camper top and shop cleaned up. Ed I'll check as much as I can but lots of stuff unhooked right now. Everything worked before so I think it should when I'm done. I do think I'm going to eliminate the crank up tv antenna. I don't have a digital converter anyhow. I'll still have external hook up. I wouldn't need any but my son and grandkids would. Not putting it back up top would eliminate two holes in membrane. I suppose it might hurt resale but probably not going to sell it. Never know though. Wife and I personally like this size, really don't want bigger one.
Bjrogg

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2017, 02:09:52 pm »
I think I have all the rotted wood replaced now. Maybe one small round shaped one that transitions front to top but real close now. I'm gonna need a helper for sheets of plywood and putting membrane on. Hopefully my son will pop in this afternoon.
    Here's the front section. Looks much better than when I started and I can walk on all the trusses now.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2017, 07:11:43 pm »
Looks pretty good.To seal the edges good of the membrane I went to an RV dealer to get trim that virtually sealed things forever on some of my builds of this nature.A edging screwed on that left a channel to slide a vinyl covering over the screws that hold the channel on.Same edging a lot of campers and RV's have.You might have your own remedy for this already thought through though.
Seems that's where the initial water damage was on yours around the edges.
BowEd
Ed