Author Topic: Camper Roof?  (Read 10981 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Camper Roof?
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2017, 09:58:21 pm »
Thanks DC, Thanks Clint, I was talking with Clint and he was wondering if I screwed into the plywood sisters I scabed on rotted rafters. The answer is no. I cut 2x4's to fit in between scabbed on sisters where rafters where rotted out. I fastened plywood to these and the original rafters. I also didn't screw I used 1 1/2 staples. Original roof was stapled only on seems no staples in center of plywood just perimeter and around vent holes. I did it the same way.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2017, 08:28:41 pm »
I got everything installed on roof again and all the trim on. Electric all hooked up again everything seems to be working. I still have to seal with the self leveling dicor and put the awning back on. Sure glad to have it to this point.
Bjrogg

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2017, 09:20:47 pm »
Darn good job BJ.....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2017, 09:49:23 pm »
Thanks Dbar, man just thinking its less than two months till Marshall. I really hoping not to test the roof there though.
Bjrogg

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2017, 10:03:12 pm »
Nice work bj

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2017, 10:12:39 pm »
Thanks Aaron I'm glad I fixed it this way. I'm hoping it will last me awhile this way. I really don't think it would have lasted long with just liquid roof. Anybody thinking of trying this. It's a pretty big job but it's not that bad. It sure is nice to have it inside but I've seen guys on YouTube do it outside. Probably want a good tarp though
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2017, 10:30:47 pm »
You got that thing fixed up very quickly BJ.  Great job on it.  Thanks for posting the pictures of your progress. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2017, 11:05:43 pm »
Mr bj, what a well thought out rescue ya pulled off. And so quickly. Congrats!! Look forward to seein' ya at Marshall, and good luck with the spring planting.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2017, 11:20:57 pm »
Spanking brand new with air conditoning to boot.Right uptown!!!Didnt think it got that hot up in Minnesota....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 01:39:59 am »
Very nice!  Dicor self leveling caulk is the cat's meow for finishing those screw heads and edges of roof "holes".  Another product I have used successfully for many years is "NP-1" caulk.  It will stick to just about anything.  (Wrote an article about its many uses published in PA some time back)

Living in HAIL country, I have replaced the sewage vent pipe covers with metal instead of plastic.  I also build 2" X 6" boxes covered with 3/4" plywood to fit over all of the "skylights/vents" to protect them from the "hard rain".  Sure has saved many replacement costs over the years.  Just have to remember to remove them from the roof before going down the road!  :o

A metal vent cover replaced the plastic "skylight" on my pickup camper which has saved it over the years.

Nice job.  It will be well worth it for many years to come.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 07:15:11 am »
Thanks Clint, if I had started this job a month or two ago like I wanted to it probably would have taken me twice as long. I didn't have time to dally around now and really needed to stay at it. Guess it worked out good this way.
Thanks Knoll I'm really looking forward to seeing you all at Marshall can't believe how fast it's coming and these are two really busy months for me. Thanks for the good luck wish for getting the crops in. I just hope I only have to plant them once and they do good. Prices are absolutely terrible now I sure can't afford to do it over.
Thanks Ed, it turned out nice I'm happy with it. Yup wife has to have AC or I'd be sleeping alone. I'm actually in Michigan right in the thumb if you know how Michigan is shaped like a mitten. We live about 1/2 mile from Lake Huron which is a pretty big air conditioner already. We do get some 90 degrees plus days with humidity but I think it's more that we're just not that use to hot weather. Anything above 80 and we're sweeting. It's even a huge difference just driving 4 or 5 miles west away from the lake.
Thanks Jimmi, I can see you know your way around a camper. Thanks for the tips and I'm glad my job has been been given your stamp of approval. Time to finish this puppy up and start seriously working on getting all the equipment put together for spring planting.
Thanks for looking guys and gals. And Happy Camping
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 12:10:09 pm »
Sorry for the misconception of where you live.Must of thought M meant Minnesota...lol.Beautiful area I'm sure.Southern Minnesota grows a heck of a lot of sweet corn I know.Land of the Jolly Green Giant sign....lol.Birds' Eye brand maybe?It's good you took before and after pics of your camper to refer to.
I know a few coonhunters up in the thumb too.Never been there though.Used to meet them at the national U.K.C. breed hunts in Illinois.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2017, 02:42:10 pm »
That's quite alright Ed, I've got a cousin in Minnesota. He grew up a mile away from me, we use to do everything together. I might PM you about those coon hunters. Pretty good chance I know who they are. If you ever get this way Ed I'd love to show you around.
Bjrogg

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2017, 10:02:55 am »
I went up through Saul St. Marie once into Ontario exchangng dogs in Palmerston,Onatario.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2017, 11:02:29 am »
I went up through Saul St. Marie once into Ontario exchangng dogs in Palmerston,Onatario.
That's quite a drive Ed. About 30 years ago we would go up there and then head east in Ontario to a town called Blind River. From there we took a road that turned into gravel and took us to the Log Chateau. It was on a big Lake Matanida. We camped down the hill from there on a smaller lake bear head. It was very primitive, just a artisan well and outhouse. Sometimes the grass would still be 5' tall in the small cleaning we camped at. There were small lakes all around the area and we just use small aluminum 14' boats we carried in by hand.  Beautiful country except for the black flies and skeeters. Amazing really. Place was all rock and lakes. Hard to believe any plants could grow there but was a tree growing from every crack. Really miss going there. We were told they were going to build condos there and we couldn't camp there anymore. Really wonder what the place looks looks like now. If anyone knows I'd love to hear.
Bjrogg
Bjrogg