Author Topic: ELBish/Welsh Elm Longbow  (Read 6771 times)

Offline k-hat

ELBish/Welsh Elm Longbow
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:03:21 am »
Finally got  to do some bowmaking again, been awhile.  A friend wanted a bow for her son's 18th birthday, and we decided, given his interests, to go with something in the ELB style.  I took some cues from Marc and his Elm ELB.  I think it really is more reflective of a Welsh Longbow.

"They are made neither of horn, ash nor yew, but of elm; ugly unfinished-looking weapons, but astonishingly stiff, large and strong, and equally capable of use for long or short shooting".  -Gerald of Wales, 12th century

Well, this one is certainly not "unfinished" or ugly, but a simple elm longbow nonetheless.  I kept her lightweight for the archer noob so she'd be plenty of fun to play with and would be a good "starter" if he really gets into it.  Kept the handle stiff for the lighter weight bow, limbs start out with a D cross section that gets a little more rectangular past the middle, then pyramidal at the stiff tips.  Inlaid leather arrow pass, just to try something new and keep the look clean and simple.  Had to be inventive to get that circular cut on a half inch diameter piece of leather.  A well-toasted belly to keep string-follow at a minimum. Light Walnut stain to bring out the grain (specifically requested by the mom, otherwise I'da left her plain), about 6 coats of Deft to finish.  String silencers are rabbit I think. Smooth draw, sweet shoot'n, and plenty of zip!  Ok stats and pics:

70" ttt, 68" ntn, self-nocks
30#@28", a hair under 35 @ 30"

I've got a sister stave that is a flatbow design that I hope to have finished soon.  She's a hunter and I can't wait to finish her up!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 05:16:45 pm by k-hat »

Offline Aaron H

Re: ELBish/Welsh Longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:23:05 am »
Great looking bow, I like the simplicity

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:52:13 am »
Very nice.Excellent shooter I bet.I like what the walnut stain did to the elm too.Could use it for hickory too I imagine.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:06:57 am »
Woo, nice bit of character in that... I do like Elm  :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:36 am »
I like that one!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 12:06:27 pm »
Nice work Kevin, good looking stick.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline silent sniper

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 12:31:02 pm »
That is one VERY nice bow! Simple, yet extremely refined. Beautiful work. SS

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 12:45:41 pm »
Very nice bow.
It's got some character as well as classic elegance.  :OK

Offline k-hat

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 01:39:15 pm »
Appreciate the kind words guys.  Elm is definitely my favorite bow wood, it's so versatile when you treat it right.  Beadman hickory surely would have a similar look on the back, but I have yet to find a hick stave that has that "rings within rings" look that I find in nice elm.  Course I may just not have seen enough hickory.  Doing this one makes me definitely want to try a classic, heavy, arc-of-the-circle elm longbow with a primitive finish(maybe even an ugly one like the Welsh  ;) ), in the range of 70# or so (well, that's heavy for me  :P ).  I'll have to add it to my growing To-Do list. 
The knot was really fun and unexpected.  It seemed to be pretty well intact from the belly, but upon trying to hollow out the  knot the core popped right out. My wife didn't really understand my excitement  ;D

Thanks for lookin!

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 01:58:41 pm »
Good looking bow!

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: ELBish/Welsh Elm Longbow
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 06:10:24 pm »
Nice bow!
Northern Ute

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 06:15:40 pm »
I bet this young fellow will be excited too. Nice work, and the knot adds a ton of character to this bow. I wouldn't have dared, not even on elm.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 06:33:36 pm »
That's a sweet looking bow. Glad you're back into it! The recipient will be happy indeed!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline DuBois

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2017, 07:19:56 pm »
Very cool!

Offline k-hat

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 03:42:18 pm »
Thanks Joe, Redhand.  JoachimM I have been hoping for a stave with a perty knot like that.  This time wasn't so much by design as chance, and I just had to go with it at that point.  Glad I left the extra meat there.  I like a little character in my bows!
Upstate, you been crankin out enough for the both of us!  I wish I could do a lot more...maybe one day  :BB

Thanks DuBois!