Author Topic: ELBish/Welsh Elm Longbow  (Read 6763 times)

Offline FilipT

Re: ELBish/Welsh Elm Longbow
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 06:38:10 am »
Whoa! Like the kinks on the bow, that was surely difficult to tiller. Too bad elm is destroyed in Croatia.

Offline WillS

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 07:59:11 am »
Very very pretty!  There's something magical about the way elm finishes up. 

It ain't English or Welsh though, that's an American longbow through and through!  It's got fades and flat limbs!  ;)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 11:03:56 am »
That's sad news Stalker :'( 

Will, I guess it's really it's own thing.  ALBs I believe are characterized as flatbows, which this is not.  Since it's light weight, and not yew, it really can't follow the victorian ELB rules, but it is a d section, narrows evenly from grip to tips, and has a more circular tiller (except the stiff tips, mind you).  No one really knows the design of Welsh Longbows historically as there are no artifacts.  But if you folow the ideology that the ELB in its war form took cues from the Welsh Longbow, and the Welsh Longbow was made of elm (of that much we are sure!), then I don't think this is a stretch to think this one is very different.  If I could have made it quite a bit heavier, it would have bent thru the handle and had a rue circular tiller.  That was my reasoning anyway, inspired by the WLB, so I called it a WLB  ;)

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 11:13:10 am »
Thats a fun looking stick! Good work:)
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline WillS

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 12:47:53 pm »
That's sad news Stalker :'( 

Will, I guess it's really it's own thing.  ALBs I believe are characterized as flatbows, which this is not.  Since it's light weight, and not yew, it really can't follow the victorian ELB rules, but it is a d section, narrows evenly from grip to tips, and has a more circular tiller (except the stiff tips, mind you).  No one really knows the design of Welsh Longbows historically as there are no artifacts.  But if you folow the ideology that the ELB in its war form took cues from the Welsh Longbow, and the Welsh Longbow was made of elm (of that much we are sure!), then I don't think this is a stretch to think this one is very different.  If I could have made it quite a bit heavier, it would have bent thru the handle and had a rue circular tiller.  That was my reasoning anyway, inspired by the WLB, so I called it a WLB  ;)

Well the Ballinderry bow was early Irish Viking, and the Mary Rose bows were late medieval, and both are almost identical - circular or "galleon" cross section (not D section - that's a Victorian addition as well, funnily enough) with no distinct handle, fade area or stiff tips.  It stands to reason (and is the accepted belief amongst the traditional longbow/warbow community) that pretty much all the English/Welsh military bows inbetween the two eras were the same as well.  Welsh bows were made of any indigenous woods - wych elm, hazel, holly, yew, plum, ash etc etc. 

I reckon what you've made is more Scandinavian than Welsh - similar to the Haithabu or Holmgaard bows.

Check out the Warbow Wales website for some really nice examples of "Welsh" medieval bows!

Offline WillS

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:43 pm »
This is a great article written on the elm medieval bow found on the Mary Rose, if you're interested in making a true elm replica - most likely the exact sort of thing that would have been shot in Wales!

http://warbowwales.com/#/articles/4559117041

(It's the "Bow X1-3" article, third down)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2017, 09:14:12 am »
Well, I guess I just got schooled  :o  I've done quite a bit of research to learn what I could about the Welsh, but I've never come across these documents.  It's a good read and I appreciate the info!  I supposed now she's more "inspired by" the Welsh bow the way some movies are inspired by books/true stories but really don't resemble them at all in the end  ;)

Now on my to-do list... true elm welsh longbow  :BB

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2017, 11:47:20 am »
You did say "ish". To me that means "from 20 yds away with your eyes squinted it sorta looks like". If you had said genuine, authentic ELB then you should expect criticism.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2017, 03:44:06 pm »
Nice character Bow!
I like the finish and the dye job!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline k-hat

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 04:58:27 am »
Haha thanks DC, I like the way you think  ;)

Thanks Simson!