Author Topic: Color the sinew on your bow.  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

Color the sinew on your bow.
« on: March 22, 2017, 10:17:12 am »
I have done a lot of small stuff to see how it works. a couple two or three yrs ago, I wanted to put some sinew down to see what it was all about(it's a mess of a job I did). I Didn't have hide glue, so I use what I had. I used sugar free green lemon lime hide glue, yes sugar free jello. it is harder than a rock and colored. I just thought you guys might want some colors under your skins. Have a good day. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Color the sinew on your bow.
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 10:20:14 am »
I tried that a while back.   I put the dye in the water that I soaked the sinew in.  It worked very similar to yours. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 11:10:46 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 10:32:05 am »
That's interesting.I wonder about putting it on dried sinew on the back.I suppose making a chosen colored sizing out of the jello and brushed on might work too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:21:25 pm »
I have some tannin induced hide glue that is a dark brown color I got in a good trade with JW some time ago.I'm sure the finished sinew job would of turned a dark brown.Thinking maybe it might help to waterproof better but not sure of that.I still hav'nt used it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:24:08 pm »
That's pretty darn interesting. Would have never thought if that. That certainly allows for some crazy colors.
Eric

Offline DuBois

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 09:32:13 am »
Cool idea. Could have a wide variety of colors.

I have soaked sinew and gotten good results using beet juice (left over water after steaming beets), tea bags, coffee grounds or even instant coffee, also hibiscus tea bags after using them for red. Soaked mostly back straps for a few days and got some nice wrap sinew from flax brown to deep red or dark brown depending on what I mixed in.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 11:50:00 am »
That's interesting. Would you guys say sugar-free jello would be on par with hide glue. Or at least good enough for most jobs?
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 12:50:00 pm »
That's interesting. Would you guys say sugar-free jello would be on par with hide glue. Or at least good enough for most jobs?
I haven't used much hide glue, but I'd say it will work just fine. as it is just hide glue with, color & flavor, as far as I know..Good luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline ty_in_ND

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 09:22:35 am »
That's a pretty neat trick!  Even though I can get hide glue for pretty cheap (having access to violin building/repair suppliers is handy!), I might have to give that a shot when I get to a sinew-backed bow.  Especially with the way the pattern of the rawhide looks on the bow you shared... if you could get a combination of Jellos to make a dark brown, it would almost look like you left the bark on the back.
"The best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing."

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 10:18:56 am »
That's a pretty neat trick!  Even though I can get hide glue for pretty cheap (having access to violin building/repair suppliers is handy!), I might have to give that a shot when I get to a sinew-backed bow.  Especially with the way the pattern of the rawhide looks on the bow you shared... if you could get a combination of Jellos to make a dark brown, it would almost look like you left the bark on the back.
thanks for looking. but out of all fairness that's just a really bad mess of sinew on that stick, no rawhide. not sure what flavors you'd have to mix to get brown, maybe play with some food color too. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,