Author Topic: First Thumb Ring  (Read 5044 times)

Offline gfugal

First Thumb Ring
« on: March 23, 2017, 01:00:21 pm »
Here's some pictures of my first thumb ring. Now I can work on my thumb draw and not rely on a mechanical release (It didn't make me feel very traditional let alone primitive). I made it from pine and stained it with dark stain, then finished with polyurethane. I didn't want to use bone, horn, etc for my first since I never made one before. I wanted something I could more easily work and less sad if it broke. I was a little worried about its strength but tried to make it so the weight bearing portion's grain was perpendicular to the load. I also left the walls of the actual ring thick for more support as I could see them being the most likely to break. Turns out it's strong enough. I haven't had any problems and loosed 50 arrows so far. Works like a charm. The angle is a little too steep for my liking but is easily enough accounted for. I actually like the look of the wood. When I make another I want to make it from a real hard exotic wood like ipe, bulletwood, ebony, bloodwood, or what have you.
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline gfugal

Re: First Thumb Ring
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 01:04:01 pm »
Here's some pictures with the thumb
Greg,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:14:27 pm »
Pretty good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:33:23 pm »
I'll give that a big thumbs up (groan)  :)
I keep meaning to have a go with a thumb ring... but you know how it is... ::)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 01:58:32 pm »
Very nice.  Want to try that myself.
1’—>1’

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 02:48:13 pm »
As a thumb ring archer myself, it looks great.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 04:26:28 pm »
I imagine using it is acid test if it's made correctly.Custom made you have one to copy for others now too then.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2017, 04:34:50 pm »
Looks pretty cool. Does it lock on your thumb?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gfugal

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2017, 04:46:14 pm »
I imagine using it is acid test if it's made correctly.Custom made you have one to copy for others now too then.
Do you mean that you simply use it to test it? If so yes. For example, it originally wasn't working too well because the angle was too steep and I couldn't get it flat enough to keep the string from slipping without hurting my thumb. This was because the wood would have to dig into my thumb in order to get the right angle.  I resolved this by removing wood where it was digging into my thumb (the bottom of the belly side and top of back side, pictured bellow). After I did that, it was much more comfortable and I didn't have any problems since it allows the ring to move into the proper place. I was able to shoot 50 arrows straight without pain, that's even better than what I could do with a the traditional grip.
Greg,

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2017, 05:34:04 pm »
Shooting with pain is no fun.Glad you resolved your issue.
BowEd
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2017, 03:16:01 am »
Nice
Here's some pics. I think a ring without a guard (i.e. Ottoman) might have a bit of a crisper release, although it can pinch your skin if your form and the fit of the ring aren't perfect.

Code: [Select]
https://imgur.com/a/nblsW

Do you mean that you simply use it to test it? If so yes. For example, it originally wasn't working too well because the angle was too steep and I couldn't get it flat enough to keep the string from slipping without hurting my thumb. This was because the wood would have to dig into my thumb in order to get the right angle. 
Yeah, it looked like it'd do that on the earlier pics. Glad you got it working nicely, it looks better in the last pic.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 03:24:08 am by loon »

mikekeswick

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2017, 03:34:54 am »
It took me 10 rings to get near to making an Ottoman one just right....Now you have got one that is the correct shape for yourself it would be a good idea to make another from a harder material. Pine won't last long and is easy to break.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 02:42:11 pm »
Nice
Here's some pics. I think a ring without a guard (i.e. Ottoman) might have a bit of a crisper release, although it can pinch your skin if your form and the fit of the ring aren't perfect.
Code: [Select]
https://imgur.com/a/nblsW

what's the purpose of the grove, clearly there is one that I'm not grasping? Also out of curiosity, why would no ring guard lead to a crisper release? Yeah, I don't like the idea of it accidentally pinching me, but I've only used this one so I don't really know if it would.
It took me 10 rings to get near to making an Ottoman one just right....Now you have got one that is the correct shape for yourself it would be a good idea to make another from a harder material. Pine won't last long and is easy to break.
I thought it was going to break, but it has shown no signs of doing so yet. I plan on using it until it does or until I get bored with it. We'll see how it holds up. If it is going to break I don't think it will be in a shot but accidentally stepping on it, sitting on it, or banging my hand against something like a rock by accident. the pad its self is pretty strong. I'm only worried about the ring. I've always wondered why there aren't a lot of wooden thumb rings. Time will tell if I'll find out why. I personally like the look.
Greg,

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 04:16:18 pm »
There is not a lot of wooden thumb rings because thumb rings in general are rare.  ;) But really it's because better materials are pretty readily available. Even the strongest wood could likely be popped apart by just flexing your thumb.

You will see the odd prototype made by guys just to get the feel for making and using one as you have done.

Offline loon

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 04:25:42 pm »
With no guard (or a prong), the string can rest in a way that allows you to bend the thumb a bit less, and it'll kind of 'pop off the edge' when you release..

By the grove, you mean the V-like thing? Or groove? It's for the string to rest on.. helps to prevent the string from pinching the skin too much.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 04:28:59 pm by loon »