Author Topic: First Thumb Ring  (Read 5065 times)

Offline loon

Re: First Thumb Ring
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 05:45:36 pm »
It's kind of like taking but then filing a notch on the center, but... I dunno. This is the description:

The Victory also has a pinch-free, two-pronged guard, which gives your thumb joint more room to bend and provides a more stable hold on the string (the string rests across the dimple, which mitigates unintentional up/down rolling).

Another grooved ring

The description:

Our string groove is a subtle aid in string positioning, and does not allow crimping of the string nor is disruptive of the release. This strikes a good balance, allowing those who prefer the help to have it, while reinforcing good form.

Their description of the tongued ring:

The tongue ring is another historical oddity out of China which, up until now, wasn't really accessible to most archers. The string actually rests on top of, as opposed to in front of, the protruding tongue. In use this presents as being somewhat like a lipped[guarded] ring, in that rearward string travel is limited so the string does not dig into the soft part of the thumb, however upon release the string abruptly drops like a hammer off the end of the shelf resulting in a distinct and snappy release. Until partial draw is achieved, the archer must either slightly angle their wrist or have the skill to balance the string on the tongue, before the natural step of the ring kicks in keeping the string off the thumb.

If the string is balanced on the ring as such, I suppose more of the force would go into the ring, and the joint of the thumb. Then the string wouldn't dig into the thumb because the force's against the edge of the ring. or 'tongue', in the case of the tongued ring.

So it's kind of like in pic 1, but the thumb is more bent, but angled such that the force goes into the ring and not pinching the skin.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 06:02:48 pm »
I aslo have another question for you thumb archers. When I was looking up how to make a thumb ring I came across the primitive ways website. according to Mike the thumb draw may twist the string in an opposite direction than the traditional draw. To counter-act this he said you can either 1) make a loop so the string won't twist, or 2) put the arrow on the right side of the handle if your shooting right handed mimicking what Asiatic archers did. However, when I tried putting it on the right side with my ring I feel it made it shoot worse and felt like I still had more stability on the left with a cleaner shot. What's going on here. should I try to shoot on the right anyway, or does it not really matter. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:16:07 pm by gfugal »
Greg,
No risk, no gain. Expand the mold and try new things.

Offline gfugal

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 06:15:40 pm »
Loon, that makes sense about the V and grooves and stuff. But what's a tongue ring? is that just a normal ring without a guard, grove or v? Bytheway how do you insert the pictures like that?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 06:19:08 pm by gfugal »
Greg,

Offline loon

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2017, 06:24:46 pm »
I upload them on imgur and put the direct link between
Code: [Select]
[img] tags. Or using the "insert image" button that does it for you, right below the B bold button.

Tongued rings. Google "King of Rui's Thumb Ring" for info about the first one. I think they call the tongue a "wedge"...

Offline EdwardS

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2017, 10:17:56 pm »
I shoot with a grooved ring personally.  I can also shoot just fine with a plain ungrooved ring like the last one posted.

Offline loon

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2017, 11:52:21 pm »
I currently have this ring in brass (Alibow Painless) and also a plastic vermil victory with some leather padding. I think I like the Victory better.. with the padding, but the painless is better without. Maybe the painless would be better with padding..

But I wanna make simple unlipped ones like the Ottoman. As soon as I get time, I'm gonna buy a nice Mora scandi grind hook knife and get some balsa wood.. then I'll move into deer antler.

Offline loon

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 01:42:31 am »
Check out this review by my friend. At around 2:20 he explains what I meant.

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTV3qJBcDdI#t=2m29s

Offline gfugal

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 10:13:53 pm »
That makes sense. Do you also shoot on horse like your friend. That's pretty legit
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 11:04:33 pm by gfugal »
Greg,