Author Topic: Tepeliks for turkish bow  (Read 3949 times)

Offline gorazd

Tepeliks for turkish bow
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:57:13 pm »
During seasoning time I want to build the tepeliks for stringing...
Does anyone have some formula what the radius of the trpeliks should be (in comparison to working limb length) ?

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Tepeliks for turkish bow
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 05:37:04 pm »
Gooood question gorazd.Wish I could tell ya.I'd like to know too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline loon

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 01:48:41 am »
From pictures, I've seen bowyers use shorter/longer and less/more bent ones depending on the stage of opening the bow and such..
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 01:57:22 am by loon »

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 02:30:44 am »
It is best to model them off a finished bow....
What length sals does your bow have? I could post a picture of mine if your bow is similar.

Offline gorazd

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 03:16:14 am »
Bow (NTN) size will be around 120cm (48 inch) and sals around 25cm (10 inch) ...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:50:25 am »
Ok so the whole purpose of a tepilik besides bracing is to avoid hinging I know but the induced shape the bow limb takes is permanent then I take it.Making it bend or work where the most material in the bow limb is with the rest of the limb a little stiffer on the outers but giving to a degree at full draw.
BowEd
Ed

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:21:49 am »
Ok so the whole purpose of a tepilik besides bracing is to avoid hinging I know but the induced shape the bow limb takes is permanent then I take it.Making it bend or work where the most material in the bow limb is with the rest of the limb a little stiffer on the outers but giving to a degree at full draw.
They also allow the limb to be bent the first time with a compressive force on the layers. with a much reduced risk of delamination that first time. They will make the limb conform to a 'good' curve whilst you get the string on the first time but the limb won't necessarily keep that shape when you take them off. The tiller of the limbs is all to do with relative thicknesses.

Offline gorazd

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 04:30:48 am »
When do you use the tepeliks?
Before the first tillering of the limbs or after ?

I dont have a Karpowitz book to check  how he did it ...

I have only Klopsteg book  (turkish archery) .... he said that turks first bend the bow limbs near full draw (on the table) to check and tiller the limbs (if the bend is simetrical) and after tillering (rasping the horn)   they use the tepeliks to "teach" the bow limbs to distinct shape ...

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:30 am »
The way I understand it in Adams' book after the bow is spread apart almost flat except for sijahs of course.It is put on the tepeliks to get a string on it to see the initial tiller.Get it stable then go from there to tiller it.Then the tepeliks are used each time if wanted to to string and unstring the bow of course.
Makes easy enough sense to use  or trace an old bow's curve that's been tillered for shaping them.
BowEd
Ed