Author Topic: scent covering  (Read 11595 times)

kdub

scent covering
« on: March 13, 2008, 11:48:57 pm »
what do yall use to cover your scent when hunting?    im hunting hogs and im trying not to get busted again.

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

Re: scent covering
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 11:51:13 pm »
Hawg doo-doo ! ;D..bob

Offline david w.

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:41 pm »
 :-X
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:55 pm »
yeah urine the animal your hunting or i have smoked my clothes over a fire or rubbed with pine or sassafras. but you could rub your clothes down with whatever has a big smell to it in your area.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 11:55:16 pm »
do you rub that on yourself or put it on your boots?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 12:06:43 am »
The hawg doo-doo er the urine David ?....bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 12:14:54 am »
my clothes and boots. i am gonna start huntin in buckskin this year, so i will probably smoke my buckskin shirt heavily so the smoke doesnt "blow" away after a while.
Modern Day Tramp

kdub

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 12:25:00 am »
wouldn't smoke deter the pigs, are you messin' with me ;D   I have found a product called "power pig sow in heat"  wonder if it works?

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:27:03 am »
nope hunted with it. before. smoked my clothes the night before deer. the next morning saw 3 buck come within 40 yards and i was on the ground. they ran though because i tried to get up...i was sittin on my butt. :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:36:13 am »
Not primitive but I use the scent away product... and sage brush if i am hunting the plains and pine in the mountains... I have had elk at less than ten feet away with the wind in their face .... and they still didn't smell me..... the scent away stuff kills human odor on contact and the natural stuff helps to blend any odor that is left ... buckskins can hold a lot of scent so killing the scent instead of masking it makes sense... hope this helps..Hawk ..a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

wvfknapper

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:56:53 am »
I spent thousands of dollars on cover scents over the years when I shot a training wheel bow and nothing ever seemed to cover up scent completely,not even skunk scent.... So after I started shooting real bows I done away with all that Market money grabbing crap and really started concentrating on the wind currents and actually done a lot better at not spooking deer.........Me and a friend was using fox urine on our boots over a period of years on a track of land that we leased and you could watch the deer get a scent of it and run, they figured out that the scent was associated with humans and stayed clear.............I still wear rubber boots if hunting an isolated area that I want to return to, but other than that just keep the wind in your face, hunt above trails in the morning and below trails in the evening and keep your fingers crossed  ;D

wvflintknapper

kdub

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 01:17:24 am »
why do you hunt high in the am and low in the pm?

wvfknapper

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 01:38:31 am »
why do you hunt high in the am and low in the pm?

Air currents rise in the morning as the sun does,  and settles in the evening as the sun sets,,,, Take the dew for example,,, when the sun comes out it raises and as evening sets in the dew settles.

wvflintknapper

kdub

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:32 am »
 ;D makes sense  ;D

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:22 am »
always try to use wind in your advantage.

alot of time that game sppoks is not only ones scent. someone may think they were perfectly still or have no glare beamin on the critters, but in reality...the critters saw you from a distance, got curious and came in close to investigate...and then for whatever reason they split!

trust me it was you.you may think that it was scent but most animals not dumb, just curious.

tie a piece of tinsel ....just one tiny single strand ,from christmas on a low hangin branch on a good deer run with just your bare hand scent thet tied it up.
they not afraid of scent, they curious bout the looks.
they will even start to chew it!

but by then when they are so involved with the tinsel they seem to have run off with one of my arrows in its side.

ONE MORE THING.   "KNOW THE WOODS BETTER THAN YOU KNOW WHATS IN THE ISLES OF GANDER MOUNTAIN"

MBG