Author Topic: scent covering  (Read 11594 times)

Offline kayakfisher

Re: scent covering
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 01:31:03 pm »
I use to use coon urine until one morning the sun was just starting to come up, and I heard the leaves rustling I thought its show time and started looking real hard for the deer but no deer when I looked straight down I saw to coons climbing up the tree I was In with arrows in both hands as daggers I valiantly defended my life and was able to persuade them that this is not the tree they wanted
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 02:17:34 pm »
I have found a product called "power pig sow in heat"  wonder if it works?
Be carefull that some big old boar doesn't sneak up behind you, you might get a surprise.  :o

If a hog can smell in the parts per million, he can still smell 1000 human scent particles in the 1,000,000 parts of skunk or whatever cover up you use.  By all means use whatever you like, but if the wind is blowing the wrong way, you are busted.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 12:26:19 am »
Thats it always hunt with the wind in your face and the sun at your back
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 12:31:06 am »
You said it. All that sent baloney is just marketing paranoia. Keep the wind in your face. Our ancestors didn't have doe in estrous super dooper synthetic attractant scents.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »
 Rub down from head to toes with what ever is blomming in that area, that is what will be most predominate in the air and you will blend in best. If sage is blomming it works great. And play the wind as best as possible.  Gettin close is where it's at and the funnest part of the hunt.  ;D ;)Keenan

Offline Postman

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008, 11:40:13 am »
I know it ain't primitive, but I am fairly certain that scent cover sprays  and doe urine (in the right time of year)  up your chances. I have very few deer outing oppurtunities in heavily hunted public areas, so I do what I can . Scouting/hiking  last weekend, found a pink marking tape trail right to my stand from last season >:(  where I shot a 6 point. there is an older thread around on this subject ( from January, or so?...) with some good stuff in it.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

kdub

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008, 12:34:09 pm »
ain't nuttin wrong with tearing down those pink markers, after all ther're litter, and youd be doing the parks dept. a service by picking them up. >:D

jamie

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:21 pm »
doodoo, urine and smoke. too be honest though an animal will smell ya no matter what you cover up with . wind is what matters.

kdub

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 12:14:01 am »
I know that yall have tried and tested it, but why doesn't smoke trigger a danger response from animals? Wouldn't smoke indicate either burnin' woods or the presence of humans to animals, or do they not put two and two together?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 12:52:44 am »
Smoke is a natural part of the animal world. Danger responses are usually inacted only when they sense danger NEAR. Smoke in the wind stream is not necessarily dangerous ta them. Animals and humans have been interacting fer thousands of years. They are used ta us. Smoke is a good cover scent as Jamie said as is tobacco when it is grown wherever yer huntin' Disagree about wind unless ya smell like a meat eater (carnivore ).,huntin' deer that is.
Its the movement an profile they see and care about IMO.........bob

kdub

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2008, 01:55:48 pm »
Do you reccomend a specific type od smoke to use?    Whenever I have camped out the night before a hunt I have been carefull to keep a set of hunting clothes smoke free from the campfire, but instead I should have been welcoming the odor as a scent covering agent.   

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2008, 03:36:22 pm »
any smoke...now i wouldnt say cigs or cigars, but like any wood, sage maybe, rub down with wild onion plants or id say hickry smoke, stands out. only if ya got hickry where ya hunt though. :)
Modern Day Tramp

kdub

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2008, 05:18:36 pm »
Probably just sittin by a fire made from the local woods would do the trick.  I think that the wind will be in the right direction for my blind this weekend, so as long as it ain't rainin' I should be able to hunt that blind with the wind in my face.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2008, 07:09:06 pm »
I have shot elk in the burn from the eighty eight fires, at very close range.. for cover scent I stood around the campfire before going hunting in the morning.. even after years the smell of burnt wood still lingers in the burned out areas.elk love torut in the burns and very rarely do I get busted.. KEEP YOUR CHIN TO THE WIND AND COVER YOUR ODOR IF YOU CAN, it will pay off ..Hawk
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

kdub

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:03 pm »
Im hunting in an area where there are very few wildfires, and I have never noticed smokey smells in these woods.  Would you say that smoking youur clothes is a practice that depends on the conditions of the land you are hunting, or is it a good all around practice no matter where you are?