Author Topic: Arrow weight  (Read 3550 times)

Offline DC

Arrow weight
« on: March 24, 2017, 05:12:21 pm »
I tried some new arrows today and at 20 yds they seemed to shoot about a foot low. They are 500-550Gr(approx) and the ones I normally shoot are about 400-450 gr. Does that seem about right, 100 gr shooting about a foot low? I use a 43# bow.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 01:02:38 am by DC »

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Arrow weight
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 09:59:15 pm »
If you ask a compound guy, he'd probably say yes. Makes sense to me, but I can't say I ever pay that close attention to the grain weight, and how it effects the flight.  I just make sure my hunting arrows are all real close in weight. I probably should get to doing a better job at tuning some arrows, can't deny that it does effect accuracy. A foot seems like a lot though. Sorry, that was a lot of babbling to not answer your question. ;D

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 10:03:39 am »
My arrows have always been 500+ in weight. A 27" hardwood shaft made to 42# spine and a 125 grain head normally ends up around 560 to 575 for me. A buddy used to use Ash and his were well over 600. So I don't have light arrows to measure against what I have. I would not like hunting with those low 400 arrows on a primitive bow and unless you are shooting 40# you are getting light on grains per pound weight.
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 10:32:24 am »
If you are hunting with these arrows, weight is important to an extent. Ten grs per pound of draw weight is considered the norm. If you only shoot 3D and targets weight matters little, actually lighter arrows are probably better because they fly flatter.
 My hunting bows are in the 55# range and I shoot arrows from 550gr to 650gr normally but have hardwood shoot arrows that are pushing 700gr. At hunting distances(15yds to 20yds) I see very little difference in their flight. Any farther than that the heavier the arrow the faster they fall.
 I don't shoot targets. My target butt is a large foam block and I will pick a spot(a blemish, hole, etc.) on that block to shoot at. I also don't shoot groups. I prefer one arrow at a time, as long as I am in full archery shape; been shooting on a regular basis. When you hunt you generally only get one shot and I want that arrow to go where I look. For me, if I shoot groups the other arrows in the target draw my attention and take away from my concentration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 10:51:21 am »
I only target shoot so I go as light as I can. To old and decrepit to drag a deer back to the truck. I haven't been able to retest my results as I cut the tip of my traffic finger on my arrow hand. Couple more days til that heals up then I'll try this again.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 02:20:58 pm »
Your traffic finger will show up better!    :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:58:03 pm »
it should not make that much difference,, :)

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 04:06:57 pm »
I tried them again today and couldn't see any difference to speak of. One of life's little mysteries I guess. :-\ :-\ :-\