Author Topic: Quiver options.  (Read 5932 times)

Offline Ippus

Quiver options.
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:48:34 pm »
So, I'm planning my first spot and stalk mule deer hunt for this fall. Got the weapon about ready, got a few more months to spend on spotting, practicing, fine-tuning plans... But I don't have the quiver figured out.

Eventually, I plan to build a plains-style hip quiver for myself, but this year, I don't have $100 or more to spend on materials (and I may not have time to work on it).

What can you recommend as the most budget-friendly option that'd still be effective for this type of hunt? It doesn't have to be primitive...
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline jimmi the sammi

Re: Quiver options.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 12:34:51 am »
Find a cheap one piece bow quiver.  Attach a shoulder strap to the quiver hood and to the arrow holder.  Make the strap a length that fits comfortably over your shoulder and is in a position on your hip/side to easily remove an arrow with your draw hand.  This type of quiver allows you to 1. have an arrow readily available 2. remove the quiver when needed and 3. pull it on to your back when crawling through the sage brush and cactus after a mule deer without being in your way while doing so.  It holds arrows securely while spot and stalk hunting.  A homemade version of such has been my every day hunting quiver for over 25 years.  Easy on and off.  Easy to adapt to all hunting methods.  Hope that helps.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:54:49 am »
You mean, just like google "one piece bow quiver"?
Something like this?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 09:42:05 am »
Yes, just like that or anything similar.  Many times you can find a used one that someone is getting rid of but that's what you are looking for.  Attach the shoulder strap and you are ready to go.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »
Sweet. Thanks!  (SH) :-D

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 07:18:12 am »
I plan to make one too and go for the cheapest solution
I'll make an otzi style using a pant leg fabric as container
not the noblest solution but it should work

Offline steve b.

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 09:29:05 am »
Ippus, do you plan on having a pack on when you stalk?  I made a quiver for my pack that works well and cost me nothing.  You could do the strap thing with it too and use it on the side.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 03:22:39 pm »
Still debating on that part, steve. A small one, if anything. I don't want anything gumming up the works while I'm trying to move quietly.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 11:14:36 pm »
I know all about that debate.  I've killed all my animals, and had many close calls, with a modern recurve with a bow quiver.  I think that is the best trad setup.  When I switched to primitive I first tried those smaller bow quivers with the rubber strap that wraps around the limbs.  They can work but I had all sorts of heartache with them holding the arrows too close to the bow or the quiver coming loose.
Years later I came to the conclusion that the arrowmaster type, from Safari Tuff, is probably the best bet.  It can be strapped to the pack and used like that or used on its own.  I've heard they are a little flimsy and I know guys who modify them to work better.
Before buying one I decided to make my own and test it on a spring bear hunt backpack hunt.  I knew I'd have my pack and frame with me at all times.  If it worked I'd hunt deer/elk with it later in the year.  It actually worked really well.

You generally won't need to access arrows on a stalk since you have one at the ready.  If you do need another its probably because you already shot and the animal is aware, though possibly in range.  So you just need that second arrow fast, not so much quietly.
I just took a plastic tube and cut out an opening that arrows could be grapped behind the point and pulled down and out.  I took a long fleece camo bow sock, slid it over the tube and then shoved the remaining length of sock down into the tube from the top opening.  So the tube was fleeced inside and out.  With foam in the bottom for the blades to rest in I could put like 5 arrows and pull them out with virtually no sound. 

One thing I don't like about bow quivers is that sometimes the arrow fletching is bright colored and the animals easily detect that movement.  I like the feathers covered and I like that the tube protects them and its all waterproof.

s

Offline Ippus

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 08:22:11 am »
That sounds like a really interesting option, Steve. Do you have pics or a build-along or anything so I can get a better handle one how you did it?

Offline steve b.

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 01:50:15 pm »
Yes.  Later today.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 07:51:12 pm »
Crude, but effective.  It took me all of an hour, with the idea that I'd improve it later on.    It worked well.  The black tape are locators where backpack straps hold it tight to the right side of my pack.  This is not PVC, which is thicker and bulkier and heavier.  But heavy is good is you wanted to use this as a side quiver, helping to keep it steady and in place.  Truth is I want make one out of leather with a strap system versatile for various positions on the body.  Anyway, you get the idea......

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2017, 12:09:45 pm »
I made a GFA(G.Fred Asbel) style quiver from an old Selway bow quiver, I mounted the hood and arrow grip to a slat of wood and added a shoulder strap. It worked very well for both my elk hunting trips to Colorado and my typical hunting here in the S.E. US.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »
steve b......Same type quiver I use.I like your protection sock for your fletching though too.I usually call them a side type cat quiver.Versatile design.No side to side or up and down arm movement to get an arrow out to flag the game.It definitely has helped me get a second shot.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 03:22:17 pm »
This will be the next style of quiver that I try.  I believe I will make one from rawhide and line the inside as well.