Author Topic: And another one bites the dust  (Read 3187 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Re: And another one bites the dust
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 07:03:26 am »
I don't  know about a flax fix on that I wouldn't  try maybe if there was enough wood scrape below & sinew if it was going to be a save , but  any rate got the last batch of flax I got on esty
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 07:32:43 am »
Judging by the dark spots on the sides of the bow, Id say plenty of heat is getting around to the back. You really need to prevent that. HHB is very sensitive to that, I found out firsthand. Seems if the back gets a bit over-dry just once, its tension strength is gone quite often regardless of how long you let it acclimate afterwards. If you are using a backed caul, don't, they reflect and capture a lot of heat.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2017, 08:27:05 am »
Judging by the dark spots on the sides of the bow, Id say plenty of heat is getting around to the back. You really need to prevent that. HHB is very sensitive to that, I found out firsthand. Seems if the back gets a bit over-dry just once, its tension strength is gone quite often regardless of how long you let it acclimate afterwards. If you are using a backed caul, don't, they reflect and capture a lot of heat.
I agree with Pearl. It's worst with narrow stave and wider caul. I'm thinking about making a even narrower caul for those narrow Wonky staves. The round back makes it worst to. The HHB seems to me to like the heated belly, but like Pearl said not the back.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2017, 08:41:29 am »
PS this is for Pearl. Hope you don't mind Upstate. What do you mean by backed caul? I try to keep charred spots off my caul they really aggrevate the problem. Was even toying with idea of rounding edges of caul to help heat get away. Curious what you use Pearl probably should just start a different thread  I suppose.
Bjrogg 
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2017, 08:49:47 am »

This makes a lot of sense. It could explain other failures I've had in the past. And no worries bj, that's a great question.
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb