Author Topic: Making a bow for a lefty?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline JWMALONE

Making a bow for a lefty?
« on: March 15, 2018, 11:12:30 am »
Just curious fellows. If you're making a bow for some one who is left handed but you cant shoot left handed yourself how difficult is that? I would assume that if I'm making a straight handle ambidextrous bow It wouldn't make to much difference if it was shot left or right handed. Is this correct?
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Making a bow for a lefty?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 11:24:38 am »
It would only make a difference when tuning arrows
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 11:36:37 am »
I have made a few for lefties. What I do is center the string on the handle, test shoot the bow as a righty off my hand with the arrow pass marked on both sides. If I get good flight and low hand shock from the right side it always translates to the same when shot by a lefty from the other side.

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:35 am »
Just shoot it with a thumb ring off that side. ;)

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 12:05:20 pm »
Thanks Guys.
Pat M. I tried a thumb ring when I was younger, couldn't get the hang of it. May try it again one day just for kicks though.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 03:06:24 pm »
I'm a lefty but most bows I my make are for right handers so I build all my bows string centred and ambidextrous grip or right handed and get someone else to shoot them in. Alternatively you can shoot them upside down and off a temporary rest or knuckle if you don't carve a contoured grip

Offline timmyd

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 05:47:12 pm »
I'm a lefty and the vast majority of bows I build are righties. no different in building them. test shooting feels different but again no difference in building either it just boils down to what side the arrow rest is on. just double check if you are cutting in a shelf lol

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2018, 06:24:09 pm »
Thanks guys. Just out of curiosity, you guys kepp saying string center, I always make em string center. Do any of you intentionally run the string to one side or the other? 

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2018, 07:22:49 pm »
Not intentionally but if it's just off a bit(1/4" or so) I'll put the pass on the skinny side.

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 07:24:14 pm »
I done the same with a hickory board bow, shots pretty good. Had a slight twist that wouldn't come out.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:02 pm »
I'm another lefty that makes a bunch of right handed bows. I just make sure the string is passing right down the center and shoot it in on the left side. I usually have a right handed person shoot the bow just to make sure but I've never had a problem.