Author Topic: Red Oak Board #2  (Read 5481 times)

Offline Ippus

Re: Red Oak Board #2
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 05:21:58 pm »
Well, I got the string served and lightly waxed, and I went out and put a couple dozen shots through it... wore some extra eye/hand protection just in case.

She didn't blow up on me so far, so I think I'll smooth out the handle and pretty her up a bit (was thinking of trying out the vinegar/steel wool stain I saw on here) and start putting in some range time with her.

Final stats: 63.5" ntn, ~8.5" non-bending handle, ~1.75" set just unbraced (a touch better than my last red oak board, but in the same ballpark), pulls 43# @ 28", a little over 48# @ 30"

Thanks everyone!!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:36:45 pm by Ippus »
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Morgan

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2018, 05:30:39 pm »
Great job!

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2018, 05:40:45 pm »
Looks great, once you get some hickory you'll be a bow making junkie to. LOL
Red Oak its the gateway wood!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2018, 08:00:43 pm »
Excellent tiller! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Ippus

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2018, 09:38:33 pm »
Looks great, once you get some hickory you'll be a bow making junkie to. LOL

Hah! I'm already hooked. Once I get some hickory, I'll be completely sunk!

Excellent tiller! Jawge
Great job!
:D Thanks!
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2018, 09:41:03 pm »
Yep, my signature says it all.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2018, 09:45:39 pm »
:D Nice! Can't believe I didn't see that before...  ;D

Offline M2A

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 08:03:30 am »
Very nice looking tiller on that red oak. Good job!
Mike

Offline Ippus

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 10:03:55 pm »
So... any thoughts on why this bow now pulls lighter than when I finished tillering? I just checked again after I finished most of the sanding, and I'm only getting 38# @28" now.

Scratching my head... and pretty aggravated because this was going to be my hunter and now it's below legal weight. )-w(

Offline Morgan

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:14 am »
If you shot it in after your last weight while tillering, then that may be what happened. Sometimes you lose weight shooting a bow in. Also, if you had a lot of sanding to do, like removing tool marks etc,  then that will cut weight too. You can toast the belly if it ain’t backed, and that usually adds weight. It can change the tiller too though which will result in having to remove some more wood and maybe coming up at the same weight. If your regs say 40 lb minimum draw, I don’t think there will be a specified draw length. If you’re tillered to 30” mark that weight  “ x weight @ 30” ”. If you’re 38 @ 28” you’ll be over 40 @ 30”

Offline loon

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 02:11:42 am »
simply beautiful

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 02:41:14 am »
I've never actually made an oak board bow yet but think you did a dandy job with this one by the pictures you showed of tiller etc.Well thought out progression.Congratulations.
I'm probably coming in here a bit late but for poundage increase once on a KCT bow from a stave I used 12 ply linen string laid on in lengths next to each other to gain 7 pounds of draw weight.If I remember right a total of 28 strands.It made the bow practically indestructable also.It was on a bow about as wide as yours.I think 1 and 5/8" wide at fades to begin with but with parallel limbs.I used smooth on epoxy but I bet TT3 would do the job for glue too.You would'nt need to wait too long to see resullts using the epoxy.Maybe a couple of weeks using the TT3.Faster with smooth on of course as there is not as much moisture in it as TT3.It won't give you any more reflex etc.Just actual poundage increase.Just a suggestion.
I've got a whole slew of that linen string if you would like to try that.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 06:02:18 pm by BowEd »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JWMALONE

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 07:40:00 am »
To late now I guess. But I learned to tiller to my draw weight and stop an inch short of my draw length. I also do a lot of sanding so I don't have tool marks to remove at the end.