Author Topic: compression strength and set  (Read 2239 times)

Offline steve b.

Re: compression strength and set
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2017, 11:22:12 am »
willie,
Generally, if a tree grows straight up then any half when split would be similar in strength than the other half.  If the tree doesn't grow straight and is leaning, or in the case of a horizontal branch, the wood density and characteristic are different  from the upper half compared to the lower half--the tree creating differences in order for the tree or branch to have the strength to grow leaning.  So there becomes a tension and compression side of the tree itself.  So if you make bows from the two halves then theoretically you are now making bows from inherently tension or compression wood, not to be confused with the tension/compression sides of the stave you end up.

Its different for hardwoods and softwoods, exactly what happens, and you can read about it, but theoretically with vinemaple the skyward half, is inherently tensioned wood, and so it will, as it dries, curl, because it has been released from it compression half.  It will be the better half for making an efficient bow.

I have not found this to be true with any wood that I've dealt with, yet.  But I haven't worked alot of vinemaple.  In the case of the stave I'm working now, the tree was growing straight up but at some point in its life steered slightly so that the "straight up" trunk had a natural bend that would yield a reflexed and deflexed half.  After drying neither half of the log moved much in any direction.

Offline willie

Re: compression strength and set
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »
thank for the report on the stave you are tillering. Some of the compressionwood I have worked with is said to exhibit 10 times the shrinkage/expansion of normal wood, with varying moisture conditions. I do not know the particulars about tensionwood, but would not be suprised if something similar happens. In addition to leaning trees,I have read where trees exposed to prevailing wind are also said to create reactionwood.

I have also noticed where a straight log, when split into staves, will have staves that go into reflex for not so obvious reasons.
Perhaps there are some drying forces at work? due to differences between sap and heart, or the moisture contents of the sap and heart?

In any event, I have been more inclined lately, to work with a stave"just as it was formed in the tree", and to minimize cell damages/warping due to drying stresses. With compression wood, this means reducing the stave so that the reaction between the different types of wood in the stave are minimized.

I have seen, when splitting logs, where the staves take a shape of their own once released from each other, and see this reaction often with dried wood. I am curious if  anyone has noticed this happening with green wood.