Author Topic: Plastic bag butt  (Read 5827 times)

Offline DC

Plastic bag butt
« on: March 26, 2017, 04:26:36 pm »
Has anyone made a target butt filled with plastic bags? How thick should it be to stop a target arrow from a 40-50# bow? I want to make a butt for my shop.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Plastic bag butt
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 06:08:38 pm »
I made one from plastic livestock feed bags packed super tight.  It stopped the arrows very well. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 06:48:33 pm »
Yep, what Clint said.
Also, burlap bags from farm-supply places wok well for me.
Also, some farm-supply retailers sell trailers and, around here at least, those trailers must be shipped by mftr with blocks of styrofoam. The retailers use the blocks to prop tongue off ground. They end up with excesses of the blocks. Free targets!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 07:18:21 pm »
I've collected the bags and I'm going to build a plywood frame to put them in. I just don't know how deep to make the frame so the arrows don't go through. Do you think a foot deep would do it?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 07:42:17 pm »
I hung mine up from a swing frame. I had it packed so tight the arrows would bounce off sometimes.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 09:58:08 pm »
Heard good things about shrinkwrap and old clothes, too. Maybe shredded paper could work OK.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 10:10:27 pm »
I've used round bale net wrapping from round bales before.Works great.Arrows pull out real easy.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline steve b.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 11:19:59 pm »
DC, You WILL hit the plywood frame.  Just do the burlap thing.  I doesn't take alot to stop a wood arrow, but why skimp, just stuff it full and hand sew it up.

Offline Blayne

• Top Predator Outdoors
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 10:04:35 am »
When I worked construction the insulators would stuff all their empty bags inside a bag. Nice package that I brought home. With my old "wheels" the points would poke out the backside, but I bet that would stop a trad bow. Not sure exactly how thick, as thick as a bag of pink insulation:)
"A society grows great when old men plant trees under who shade they will never sit" Greek Proverb

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2017, 10:55:25 am »
I stuffed an excessive amount of that round bale net wrapping into many plastic type 50# bags.Set them through out the woods imitating a 3D shoot while stump shooting bows.Works great!!But if left out there and there are whitetail deer around during the rut the young bucks will come by and tear them up....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2017, 11:37:07 am »
DC, You WILL hit the plywood frame.  Just do the burlap thing.  I doesn't take alot to stop a wood arrow, but why skimp, just stuff it full and hand sew it up.

That's a good point, I know I've hit the frame on the Bulldog target I've got out back. This one will be just for the shop and I'll only be shooting maybe 15 feet. It will be 2'x2' and if I miss it there will be (another) hole in the cedar garage door. The biggest burlap sack I can get is about 16-18" wide. Decisions, decisions Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 01:05:12 pm »
I keep a roll of heavy duty plastic wrap handy. When my bag targets start to soften up or sag, I wrap the entire thing tightly and its good to go for another 5000 shots.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2017, 01:49:43 pm »
For indoors I would do foam.  But not one of those smallish block types.  I learned my lesson once when I hit the edge of the block, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that the arrow turned 90 degrees and hit the wall in the next room, traveling perfectly perpendicular to where I was shooting.  I use those big white open cell target butts.  I get them used at the archery store but they are still expensive.  You'll eventually shoot through it so must have a stop behind it.

I once was shooting from the street into the garage, missed the target, and the arrow went through the wall into the bedroom, hit and closed the bedroom door.  I put some toothpaste in the hole--wife never knew.

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2017, 02:53:57 pm »
And if you mail me the last bow you posted, she won't hear it from me ;D ;D ;D

Offline steve b.

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2017, 07:55:00 pm »
  :-M.....Funny.  You could make a bow as good as I can....you just need a good stave for a change.... :BB   O:)