Author Topic: Trail camera recommendations?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Adam

Trail camera recommendations?
« on: March 26, 2017, 10:01:19 pm »
I've never used a trail camera before but am interested in getting one to play with, but I know next to nothing about them.  I don't need super high resolution or any real fancy features, but I think the only feature I probably want is an invisible flash.  I will be using this on public land, so I don't want to spend a whole lot since there is probably a relatively high chance of it walking off at some point.  Maybe it's foolish to even try using one on public land, but I don't get out as much as I'd like during turkey season or scouting and would like to get a leg up this year.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to hide a camera to make it less visible to thieves?  I was planning on positioning it above an average person's line of sight.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Trail camera recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 10:31:46 pm »
I have a Moultrie camera and it has worked great.  It's been out for over 2 years straight and has taken thousands and thousands of pictures with no problems.  Get one that takes AA batteries.  They seem to have a longer battery life.  Try to hang it as high as you can.  Maybe take a small ladder if that's feasible.   Get off the beaten path to an area where most people won't go.  Good luck.  Post some good pictures when you get them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline neuse

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 07:20:52 am »
I second Moultrie, mine works great and the batteries last a very long time.
I bought a second camera, Browning Strike Force, it is a good camera but eats batteries fast.

Offline txdm

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2017, 01:24:16 pm »
I've had great luck with Moultrie too.

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 08:46:36 pm »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate the info.  That's a great tip about bringing a ladder too.

Offline txdm

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:54:27 pm »
My battery experience with game cams: Costco/kirkland AAs are available in bulk packs and they seem to be just as good as the name brand batteries. Lithiums have lasted me about 3x as long as normal alkalines. Rechargables (eneloops) have not done so well, especially in cold temps. So buy accordingly based on how easy it is to get out and replace them.

Also be really sure to clear brush from in front of the camera, so the wind wont keep setting it off. Avoid pointing it toward sunrise or sunset if you can, and point it diagonally down a trail instead of across it if you can.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 08:57:36 pm by txdm »

Offline Red Arrow

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:56 pm »
Also, since you're putting it  public land, get one you can lock to a tree with a cable, possibly even a metal container box.
Runnin' the Ridge
Racin' the Wind

Red Arrow, aka Ron