Author Topic: thumb ring shooters, spine  (Read 2006 times)

Offline loon

thumb ring shooters, spine
« on: March 27, 2017, 03:20:59 pm »
If you shoot with thumb draw, what's your drawlength from the back of the bow, and what spine of arrows do you use? Do you use khatra/torque?

I'm still very much working on getting clean, straight arrow flight without doing intended bow torque or khatra. Apparently I have problems with collapsing on release sometimes, and maybe my upper draw arm needs to be more in line with the arrow..
Something about aiming with the elbow. But I was also told that the bow arm is the most important, maybe I'm doing something wrong there. My bow shoulder often hurts.

Offline TimBo

Re: thumb ring shooters, spine
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2017, 09:37:36 am »
OK, I have a couple of thoughts, even though I have zero experience with a thumb release, so I can't help with the first part of your post.  It seems like if your shoulder hurts, you should focus more on using your back muscles (lift your bow like doing a curl with a barbell and you will feel the right ones).  Pushing towards the target with the bow arm always seems to help me - it should help avoid collapsing and give a cleaner release.  Hopefully this response will either help, or irritate someone who knows more, so they will chime in...

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Re: thumb ring shooters, spine
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 02:29:04 pm »
My draw length is about 32", my arrows are cheap bamboo arrows that come unspines and I haven't tested them but if my release is smooth and my back tension and khatra are right they fly very straight, any of those are off and they wave at me, lol.