Author Topic: Hazel shoot arrow making?  (Read 2883 times)

Offline Nance

Hazel shoot arrow making?
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:13:56 am »
Hi there,

Long time no see. I have collected some nice hazel shoots to make arrows from. I will be going for normal glue/screw on points and have collected some nice duck feathers for fletching.
I have peeled and tied them together to make them straight, but some of the bigger twists won't go out like that. So I need some advice on straightening them, and making their taper nice and tidy. I have no tools haha. Just a knife, a spokeshave, and sandpaper.
I heard that weight is actually more important than spine. If I keep the diameters the same, will they be alike in spine?

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
Re: Hazel shoot arrow making?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 07:57:05 pm »
I love hazel shoot arrows. I don't know how much difference there is between the hazel you have over there compared to the local species here. I like to keep my green shoots next to my favorite chair and try to hand straighten them every day or two. At first they won't straighten very well but after several days they start to feel like stiff wire when bending and stay fairly straight. Keep checking them every couple of days untill they stay straight for at least a week then bundle them up to finish seasoning. Once seasoned they can still be straightend more with heat. I find that spine is more important than weight. Any that are too stiff get worked down with small plane and sandpaper untill correct spine is reached. Ones to light get saved for different project. I try to cut my shoots extra long if possible so i can slide them forward and back on spine tester to find where it spines correctly at. Then cut it to length with that spot in the center.  Hope this helps.

Steve
Steve Bennett

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:10:11 pm »
I am going to assume you are talking about hazel nut, not witch hazel - hazel nut is the one I have worked with.  I usually just dry them and straighten them over a stove burner (use a hot pad!).  They smell pretty nice when heated, and seem to stay straight pretty well.  I would agree that spine is more important than weight...although once you get too much of a weight difference, long range shooting will be funky.  40-50 grains is not too much of a difference at closer ranges, although less is better.  One thing you can do to reduce weight without affecting spine very much is to taper the last third (fletching end).  You can reduce spine without reducing weight very much by sanding right in the middle of the shaft.  If you make the arrow shorter, it reduces weight, but increases spine.  You can't make the arrow longer (unless you do footed shafts), but you can use a heavier point to increase weight and reduce spine.  There are a couple of older PA posts on this sort of thing with many more details.  Good luck!

Offline archeryrob

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 03:17:11 pm »
I got Hazel shafting from Scotland long years back, so I am assuming mine was Hazel nut. I found it to shoot well, but liked to warp easy. I was constantly having to recheck them for straightness and hand straightening them while shooting. I still ahve two left and one I hope to put through a deer next year.  >:D
"If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing, or you're just doing it wrong."