Author Topic: run-out when splitting  (Read 2394 times)

mikekeswick

Re: run-out when splitting
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2017, 02:09:00 am »
I do not think that it is one long grain strand that you are jumping across when you steer, but splitting is a series of short jumps from one cell to the next that you are trying to follow the general run of.

actually if the splitoff piece is thinner than the splitfrom piece, then the wedge itself is  bending the thinner piece out of the way more, and causing the runoff.

Yep, dead right.
Start at the thin end.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2017, 02:22:14 am »
+1  if the pith isn't centered, the split will go towards the smaller side. That's true with splitting anything kindling, shakes, firewood, and staves. Always splits better from the top down as well.  Cheers- Brendan

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2017, 05:03:17 am »
This stave is 2.5" diameter and I think I missed the centre by 2mm, not much but on such a small stave maybe important.  As the difference in size grew the wedge pushing on the more flexible side accelerated the difference resulting in the run out  If I had corrected with a saw at an early time I don't think I would have had a problem. definitely something to look for next time. Still, I do have enough for a 62" bow and the taper is already in place  ;) (-S
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 06:26:45 am by stuckinthemud »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 09:43:26 am »
I have found it hard to get small diameter pieces like that so split evenly.  I prefer to split bigger stuff.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 09:50:12 am »
Yes, these whippy little laths are tricky to split