Author Topic: Ocean Spray question  (Read 8322 times)

Offline willie

Re: Ocean Spray question
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:51 pm »
DC

nice pic that explains a lot. the crack is radial and excessive possibly because the tangential shrinkage is more than average?

Bruce Hoadley, Understanding Wood has a nice chapter on just these sort of issues, and how to work with them.

It seems that some woods have a large ratio, between the different types of shrinkage....

Offline DC

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 06:30:18 pm »
Just for curiosity I figured the SG of OS. The piece I did is 1.04. It's bone dry, been kicking around my workbench for a year or so. I microwaved it just to check and the weight never changed. Every piece of OS I've checked has sunk but this is the first time I did the figuring. So it just barely sinks.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2017, 10:04:57 am »
I checked my test pieces again, no cracks visible, however the wood has shrunk. you can see it in the bark, it's getting a wrinkle in it. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2017, 11:21:09 am »
That's a week, right? Have they been in front of a heater the whole time? That's amazing. Can you throw that chunk in a bucket of water to see if it sinks. I just find it strange that others haven't commented on sinking wood.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2017, 11:24:59 am »
DC, yes for the most part it's been directly in front of a heater. within a couple inches, I was trying to get it to crack. as far as I know OS sinks, but yes I'll toss it in some water when I get home tonight, and let you know tomorrow. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2017, 11:32:28 am »
That's bizarre. A couple of times I tried to dry pieces like that to make a mallet. I just shellacked the ends and threw them under my workbench. No joy. Maybe glue works better than shellac.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2017, 11:45:56 am »
I don't know about glue working better than shellac, as I've seen them split with the same glue, tb3. I'm thinking my test pieces were too short and this may affect my test. will need to try it again with a full length stave, I have one that needs cut down. Ed 
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline shofu

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2017, 12:48:03 am »
Everything I could find online has Ocean Spray less the 1.0 specific gravity.  I tested a piece and it sunk in the bathtub. I also tossed in a piece of lignum vitae which is supposed to be the highest sg wood and a piece of high elevation Douglas fir.  The OS sunk like the LV and DF floated of course
Cheers,
George

Offline shofu

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2017, 12:59:51 am »
On another note, I found a whole area filled with 'old growth' ocean spray today.  Trees are 4-6" diameter.  Thinking maybe that might be one solution: use bigger wood?
g
Cheers,
George

Offline shofu

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2017, 01:07:39 am »
here is pic.  I wear size 9 glove
g
Cheers,
George

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2017, 10:30:41 am »
DC, I dropped that piece in the water last night. It sank like a rock.
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2017, 11:11:51 am »
On another note, I found a whole area filled with 'old growth' ocean spray today.  Trees are 4-6" diameter.  Thinking maybe that might be one solution: use bigger wood?
g

Wow, I thought I had big OS. If you can split that in half it "should" dry OK. If it's 3" it will make full handles.

Offline willie

« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2017, 12:23:30 pm »
I just find it strange that others haven't commented on sinking wood.

lol, I guess most of us are a bit envious that you can find some bow wood that dense in your backyard.

some nice sticks there, Shofu

Offline shofu

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2017, 10:41:01 am »
I will get you some DC and continue the experiment
g
Cheers,
George

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2017, 01:43:10 pm »
 All the oceanspray I have tested sank in fresh water.

You can try salting the water to see of it floats. It is a mysterious fiber and I think it  warrants a bunch of testing/experimenting . Especially the heat treating.