Author Topic: Lean to with Grandson  (Read 2949 times)

Offline BrianS

Lean to with Grandson
« on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:33 am »
Last year my Grandson and I built a very simple lean to back in the woods. It was built from brush and old plastic tarp. Kinda like a Hobo Camp of sorts. We even put up a couple of Hobo signs. Had a lot of fun at it last Summer and Fall. I left it up to see how it would fair over the Winter and the snow load was too much for it. Started rebuilding it using much heavier poles and a canvas tarp. Put a additional tarp on the front that can be rolled down if needed. Picked up a Reflective "Survival Blanket that we will be tying to inside to (maybe)reflect heat? I made a small wood stove out of a ammo can a year ago that I am thinking of putting in. Still need to finish the side walls some way. Last time we just used stacked firewood. The project is pretty simple and may not seem like much but the whole point was to spend some time together. Every Kid whether they are 10 or 60 should have a Fort in the Woods. Here are a few pictures of the old and new. I would encourage anyone with kids or grand kids if possible to do something similar

Offline BrianS

Re: Lean to with Grandson
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 11:14:23 am »
A few more.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2017, 11:22:06 am »
That's a very cool way to spend time together.  Great job.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 11:22:06 am »
 ;D Good for you, that is AWESOME. those are memories he'll have for a life time.  Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2017, 12:22:43 pm »
Makes me want to come join in! Looks like a blast.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2017, 01:15:57 pm »
I roamed the woods where the lean to is when I was a kid and now 60 years later, my Grandson can. It is a special place to me. Within a 100 yards or so is a very old Trail Marker tree that must be 100 plus years old. When i was a kid I would play on it. Never knew until just recently how significant Trail Marker trees are. There is a much smaller trail marker tree back in the woods. Have no idea what ether were meant to mark. The lean to sits up on a ridge that overlooks a small un-named spring fed creek. When I was a young boy I spent countless hours catching crayfish and building dams. The creek holds some native trout in the deeper holes and from time to time I still fish it. The woods is a mixture of  Hemlocks, Maples, Birch and Beech mostly. Not much under story due to the canopy. Lots of mushrooms and fungus. Even after all these years I am discovering new things there. It is cool to see my Grandson do many of things I did way back when.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 07:25:35 pm by BrianS »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2017, 01:23:16 pm »
That is really fantastic Brian. I didn't build forts with my dad or grandfather, but I sure remember a bunch my cousin and I built. Really brings back some good memories.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2017, 01:24:43 pm »
That trail maker tree is cool.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2017, 01:30:49 pm »
Here are a few more pictures from the property.

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
He will remember that for the rest of his life

Offline JEB

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2017, 02:31:16 pm »
Brian, grandkids need more grandpa's like you.  OUTSTANDING  (=)

Offline Adam

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2017, 05:52:43 pm »
That's so great!  I'm glad you're both getting to enjoy being outside in such a special place.

Offline BrianS

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2017, 08:07:27 pm »
Osage Outlaw,
Up until recently I did not know about trail marker trees. There is a Society that is documenting them and there is a bunch of interesting info on their website. The Group is Great lakes trail tree society. I have no idea about the tree near the lean to as to what it was meant to mark.  It is a old hard Maple and based on the size and poor soil growing condition and climate I would guess it to be quite old. It is a miracle that it has survived and not been molested or destroyed by someone all these years.
Brian

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2017, 09:41:39 pm »
I was looking at that great lakes website earlier today.   They have some good pictures on there.  I'll be looking for trail marker trees when I go hiking from now on.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2017, 12:30:19 am »
Two of my grandkids are living with us temporarily. While there have been trying moments, there have also been many many cool ones.
They wanted to build a "hideout" couple months ago . . . when it was COLD and SNOWING.
I told 'em where there was rope and an old tarp. And showed them a reasonably level spot out behind our property line.
They were out there for 90 minutes when I figured they wouldn't last 15!
Finally they came in to grab the hands of momma, gramdma, and yours truly.
They had done a fine job building a shelter. And this by a 12-yr-old and a kindergartener!
Shelter is still up and it's been location for several smores feasts, hamburger/hotdog roasts, and, last Sunday, we grilled big batch of kabobs.
Yep, youngun's can add lotsa pleasure to an old fart's days.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857