Author Topic: 'Hedeby' Viking Yew Longbow 57#@30"  (Read 12090 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: 'Hedeby' Viking Yew Longbow 57#@30"
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2017, 09:18:00 am »
I like the plow horse design.  Really nice and functional.
1’—>1’

Offline WillS

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2017, 10:12:19 am »
Lovely replica :)

The real question is - have you used​ the bracing handles as bracing handles? 

Offline Bob W.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:14 am »
Awesome dude!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2017, 12:19:57 pm »
Good looking bow, nice replica!
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2017, 03:11:13 pm »
Crazy cool
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Strichev

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2017, 03:52:30 pm »
Outstanding.

Did you use pure beeswax or did you mix it with some solvent like turpentine?

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:44 pm »
Thanks, guys! You're a real encouraging bunch. I added a diagram of the original bow in the first post as a reference.

Upstatenybowyer, That's all I need is another project. I'll leave that to Ryan.  ;)

Del, I have a little thump in the hand with my lighter arrows but when I shot a heavier arrow it was fine. It's not a world record holder for speed but it shoots just fine. How long was yours, Del? From all that I read, I wasn't too surprised with any of that. The original was estimated to be well over 100# draw weight. That changes things, for one, a little extra wood on the tips probably doesn't make a lick of difference at that weight.

WillS, not sure what you mean by bracing handles. Is that what they suspected the fat tips were for? If so, they did come in handy during the early stages of bracing when it was still a beast. I couldn't handle it doing push/pull and the tips were too fat for my stringer. I had to resort to the step through method and it was handy to grab those tips.

Strichev, I used pure beeswax. I softened up a hunk with heat, and rubbed it on a limb. Then I heated up a small section with the heat gun until it was soaking in. Then I buffed it vigorously with cheese cloth while it was still hot and melted. I worked my way down the bow doing that. I let it cool and repeated the process but didn't add any more wax. It had some excess from the first time. After it was cool I buffed it with the cheese cloth again.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2017, 05:31:03 pm »
  A very credible reproduction and great craftsmanship!

Hey, just for whenever...., if you cut the beeswax 20% with lard or some oil like coconut, it will become sticky, but soften easily enough to be wiped on.  If you wipe a coat on a bow and leave it in a hot car or over the woodstove, the wood drinks it in over several hours.  If I do this three times the finish is incredible.  No real advantage over what you are doing, except less babysitting while you heat it, but it works so well...

Offline WillS

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2017, 05:46:07 pm »
Weylin, yep they're bracing handles!  They're on a few other Scandinavian and Irish Viking bows.

You normally use them with the "knee in the handle" method.  You lean the bow away from you, plant your knee smack in the middle and drop your whole weight onto the bow.  You grab the top handle and pull it towards you. 

Without the bracing handles, this method is brilliant for bows up to about 130lb, but with those lovely big handles there's no limit other than your own body weight.

They help when using the step-through method as well, but it's the knee method where they really shine.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2017, 05:53:16 pm »
Thanks, Springbuck. That's a good tip. I considered some of the mixtures with the beeswax. I might try that next time.

That's pretty cool info, Will. Makes sense. That knee in the handle method sounds like a high probability of a trip to the hospital if I tried to do it. I'll have to look up a youtube video of someone doing that.

Offline WillS

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2017, 06:03:07 pm »
Here ya go :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LocFlPi6L08

3:00 into the video.

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2017, 06:03:55 pm »
As you can see... don't do it on a slippy floor  ::)

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2017, 07:31:34 am »
Excellent work Weylin, thats a cool bow.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2017, 08:03:24 am »
very nice, you did a good job with that bow.

I had a guy ask me about a Hedeby bow a few months ago.  I told him Yew seemed to be the historical wood of choice for these bows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2017, 02:37:30 pm »
Del, I have a little thump in the hand with my lighter arrows but when I shot a heavier arrow it was fine. It's not a world record holder for speed but it shoots just fine. How long was yours, Del? From all that I read, I wasn't too surprised with any of that. The original was estimated to be well over 100# draw weight. That changes things, for one, a little extra wood on the tips probably doesn't make a lick of difference at that weight.

I think mine was 72" it was done for a lady, here's a post about it:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/hedeby-bow-performance.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.