Author Topic: Specific Tribe or just regional point styles  (Read 1957 times)

Offline Flakescarred4life

Specific Tribe or just regional point styles
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:29:40 pm »
Hello everyone! So i'm new. I've been knapping for 2 years now and found someone who likes my work. I am by no means an expert in knapping,Native Americans, or identifying points. So when my potential first client requested that i make him a bunch of Apache style arrowheads, knife blades, spearheads, and atlatl points, I said "no problem". Except there is a problem... I can't find any tribe specific points. no matter what i type into google, it always gives me regional point styles. So, if anyone can help with this dilemma of mine, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Offline Zuma

Re: Specific Tribe or just regional point styles
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2017, 10:48:08 pm »
There is very little tribal information on point type/style.
Archaeologically, most point types are done by  culture.
Paleo, Archaic ,Woodland, with some transitional aspects.
Up and until the advent of ceramics and farming most point
styles were very, very similar across America.
After that they became more regional.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline turbo

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 08:19:17 am »
If he said Apache arrows then you would have a lot to draw from; bow, arrows, quivers and all.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:51:23 am »
I believe the problem is putting it in a time frame. As Zuma said the different time periods for paleo, archaic, woodland will have stone tool manufacture but when you say Apache then you are past woodland and into modern native tribes that are greatly influenced by white mans trade. The Apache I would suspect is a more current name. Still old but not likely evn woodland period. Therefore the use of metal points and metal tools including copper wouls be appropiate. A study of Apache ancestral connection to the woodland period may help. Where did they come from? Having said that, I believe obsidian would be appropiate as well as metal points. I have not studied this and offer opinion just to help. Good luck on your search.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 09:52:13 am »
My understanding of the history of the Native Americans is that the arrival of European explorers a few hundred years ago brought European diseases. Those diseases almost wiped out the Native American population. The tribes and types of Native Americans we are familiar are the result of survivors getting together and establishing the new identities we are familiar with. As an example, mound "Indians" were found in much of the eastern US when the explorers arrived, but by pioneer days the Native Americans who lived in those places had little or no knowledge of the Mound folks. There are some exceptions to this such as the Anasazi Indians. They had some recollections.

Edit: My shallow knowledge of the matter has left me wondering why point types were regional when there were so many different types (appearances) of Native Americans. Did they associate by regions more than by ancestry? Did they have sprawling governments that dictated point types and probably other things over regions that had some diversity?

WA
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 09:57:50 am by Chippintuff »

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 10:26:41 am »
Well thank you all very much! Wasn't expecting such a quick response! I never really thought about how recently they might have formed their tribes! This helps me out very much! I will pass this info on and see where he wants to go from there! Thanks again to everyone ;D

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2017, 04:06:15 pm »
There are several things that are going to make your task difficult. First and foremost, Apache describes a large group of Athabaskan speakers. There are a number of tribes who are Apache, each with there own dialects, clothing styles, etcetera. Secondly, they were scattered across a wide area, including parts of Texas, New Mexico, Arizona and Mexico.  Finally, several of the groups had encountered the Spaniards in the early 1600's, and had been trading with pueblo tribes before that, gaining access to metal points and knives. By the time someone decided to start collecting their material culture, metal points were most commonly being used. Having said that, there are some examples of stone arrow points collected among the Apache. It seems like making stone points continued for a much longer period of time in the West and Southwest, than in the Central and Eastern United States.  Most tribes in the eastern and central U.S. quit making stone points and knives by the early to mid-1800's. By this time, the Cheyenne had pretty much lost the art of making stone points. They used points that they found, but their story was, the points could be found where lightning hit the ground.
These photos are not great, but they are Apache arrows with stone points. I have to admit, Apache culture is not an area of study for me. Maybe someone on here will have a better answer for you. I do not know of any stone lance points or knives that were collected, though there may be some somewhere.   Curtis

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 01:15:51 am »
If I remember correctly, the term "Apache" is an Ansazi/Pueblo term meaning enemy that worked it's way into common useage.  I would agree that the various development periods would dictate the style
Of point.  I would defer to "Tipi stuff" as he seems to know his stuff😀!  And I am not an archaeologist or anthropologist - can't hardly spell them any more, and haven't found any points in the field yet.  Still very interesting fields of study, though.  Did a research paper on Geronimo years back, but he was much more advanced in the technology spectrum.  Nice spread of points to work from!  I will probably try to copy some of them.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2017, 07:31:38 pm »
Thank you Tipi stuff! Very informative! I do appreciate the pics as well. The last pic has some great and easy to see examples :OK Hawkdancer, you may be interested to hear that i actually get to see what is referred to as "Geronimos Cave" everyday. I don't know if it was mentioned in your research, but I live at the base of the Superstition Mountains in AZ. From what I was told, Geronimos people (women, children, etc.) were gathered in the cave and were somehow spotted by U.S. military, i believe. The soldiers then decided to just open fire into the cave and let the ricochets kill everyone in the cave. I have not personally researched this, but I was also told that act lead to his last stand. Again, I was told this by locals.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2017, 08:26:34 pm »
Apache stuff really isn't my area, but I appreciate the kind words guys. Flakescarred, post photos, if you make some of those arrows.

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2017, 08:43:33 pm »
I am currently just a knapper, tipi stuff , but i will post pics of the points. I do eventually plan on learning how to make most primitive tools and weaponry. (--) ??? :laugh: