Author Topic: Primitive hunting?  (Read 2539 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Primitive hunting?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 09:23:08 am »
Jeb...A natural component wooden self or composite bow is the only thing I bow hunt with.Never owned or shot a compound.Arrows too/self nocks only.Never use plastic nocks.Use FF string that I make and metal broadheads though.A dozen deer shot but no turkey yet.Many rabbits and squirrels though.Got a friend who got himself a moose with a hickory self bow.Bear too.I did nail a big doe with a good shot with a stone point once but never found her.That can happen with metal too.
You'll find probably the same ratio of hunters to bow makers as knappers to users of their points too.It's the love of making a bow and watching that arrow mystically fly to the target.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 05:17:03 pm by Beadman »
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 09:31:00 am »
You raise a good question.  I don't think many of the knappers I've seen at knapp-ins hunt their points.

It's crossed my mind over the years just how few people there are that have put all the ingredients together their self.

1.  Bow
2.  String
3.  Arrow
4.  Stone Point
5.  Meat

I'm on #5.
1’—>1’

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 09:46:20 am »
Jeb I could be wrong but I suspect when Primitive cultures became organized many of their knappers probably specialized at make points and tools, others bows and arrows and still others hunting. I could be wrong but I suspect very few did everything. This is purely speculation on my part though. I think our luxury of having a steady food supply allows us to do what we please. I set my goals of hunting with equipment I made because I enjoy the challenge and I'm not going to starve if I'm not successful.lol. I hunted with my stone points but when I actually shot my buck I was on the ground not expecting to get a 10yard shot. I had one of my hand made arrows with a steel point notched when a nice 4 point walked past me giving me a perfect quartering away shot. I was totally thrilled but part of me was disappointed I didn't use my stone point. I think Ryan Gills had a very good article about stone points in my new Primitive Archer Magazine. I agree with everything he said in that article, I fact I agree with pretty much everything I've ever seen him put in print. I think he has this stuff figured out about as good as anyone.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Parnell

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 10:28:04 am »
Yeah, I'd agree.  Ryan has really put in the time and work.  Nice guy, too.
1’—>1’

Offline bubby

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 02:46:53 pm »
You raise a good question.  I don't think many of the knappers I've seen at knapp-ins hunt their points.

It's crossed my mind over the years just how few people there are that have put all the ingredients together their self.

1.  Bow
2.  String
3.  Arrow
4.  Stone Point
5.  Meat

I'm on #5.

So am i, sooo am i😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JEB

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2017, 11:39:36 pm »
Two winters ago we brought Ryan up as our guest speaker for the Michigan Traditional Bow Hunters banquet.  He did an outstanding job and was well received.

Just yesterday a friend ran into someone who noticed his traditional archery  jacket. She questioned him about the club and then mentioned that she and her husband are in the bow string making, arrow building business and sell to a few major archery businesses. 

Neither own a bow are have ever shot a bow.  They are making arrows and making strings for a living.  Makes you wonder how that supper table talk went when they decided, lets make bow string and arrows for a living,lol