Author Topic: Texas Longhorn for horn bow  (Read 7913 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Texas Longhorn for horn bow
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:58:09 pm »
I've just acquired a Texas longhorn, just one, and I want to make a Native style sinew/wood/horn bow. Any thoughts or suggestions?
The horn is 36" long and about 4"x3" across the base(oval). It has some damage on the base and the tip is split but there should be 30"+ of good horn.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

Re: Texas Longhorn for horn bow
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2017, 02:41:07 am »
I have seen cow horn used but it is prone to delamination between the layers.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2017, 05:05:36 am »
Here is a link of a old thread ,he used Gemsbok but interesting native  bow ,sounds like a interesting & fun bow to build you have there Pat ,please post as you go !
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,13775.0.html
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 07:07:29 am »
I have also heard that cow horn is no good because of delamination problems

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 08:14:07 am »
Yes, but, didn't Magyar bows use Hungarian grey cattle horn?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 10:25:13 am »
I have some horn from young longhorns that were dehorned and they delaminated as they dried. This was from a mature longhorn so I was hoping this one wouldn't but I'll just have to find out. If it does, maybe the laminate will be thick enough. I guess I'll just have to see.
Stick bender, thanks for the link. Unlike that bow I will be using a wood core.
 Any suggestions how and where to cut this horn for lams?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 10:47:24 am »
I just Googled "cow horn bows" and the first pic was of Matt Wirwicki. I think his was just horn and sinew. There was another pic that looked like Wizard Goat with a longer bow but I couldn't see any detail.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 11:51:12 am »
Here are a few pics of the horn. That is a standard Altoids can next to it. You can see the damage around the base. Looks like it was crushed there. You can see where the tip split too. I don't think either will affect the horn for belly lams.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 01:47:17 pm »
Pat I sent you the wrong link I think it was Pappy if my memories right that made a bow similar to what your building but I can't find it now ,it was pretty close to your dimentions !

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 08:01:35 pm »
Here is a old thread similar but bison horn http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39711.0.html

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 09:58:09 pm »
Thanks for the link, SB Good info.  On the second page of that link I told him I would be referencing his thread for info.  (A)   :OK

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 12:35:12 am »
A curator at the Smithsonian mistakenly called a few bighorn bows cow horn many years back. I do remember seeing a light weight Asian composite made with cattle horn that was a shooter. For a Native American style without a wood core I have only heard failure.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 08:36:36 am »
Chuck I plan on a wood core.
 I'm taking the horn to the Classic to get a few expert suggestions on cutting and possible results. James Parker will be there and I'm sure he'll know.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 08:45:03 am »
Pat, do you know if James is still selling horn slats?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 11:29:34 am »
I think he is Aaron. I know he injured his hand last year and wasn't prepping any but that may have changed. If he does have any he'll bring them to the Classic. You could call him or email him and he could tell you for sure.