Author Topic: What to use for target points?  (Read 6166 times)

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

What to use for target points?
« on: April 11, 2017, 01:07:49 am »
Looking for idea simple and primitive. Metal preferred. Bow will be 60-70lb reflexed wood bow.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline osage outlaw

Re: What to use for target points?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 02:27:14 am »
What kind of arrow shaft material are you using?   Duplex nails work great for cane and bamboo.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 03:04:31 am »
Douglas fir saw ripped and planed.
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 08:29:13 am »
Not sure how primitive you are wanting but antler tines drilled out can be glued on. Hardwood dowels can be added to tips. I have used a tapered metal nail punch to wrap thin brass around and use those for points. They make a sort of cone like a orange traffic cone without the base stand. Brass and copper kettles were a trade item and was converted to points once worn out or damaged. Just some ideas.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2017, 12:24:24 pm »
Here are a few options whether you use hardwood shoots, doweled or cane arrows. For your hand planed arrows the metal strips or something similar should work. you could also use bone, antler or horn for these.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2017, 12:29:03 pm »
Hand forged Balkan points look real cool if you really want to go all out.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2017, 01:51:46 pm »
Or just a fire hardened pointed end.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2017, 04:41:43 pm »
I tried using duplex points but it's damn hard to drill a hole straight into a wooden shaft... will end up going through a side...
If I figure out a way to make a jig that makes it easy to drill centered holes into shafts, maybe I'll use duplex points for wood arrows one day.

There's this:
Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T8W-BSwiQg
And this:

Code: [Select]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5XsE37Y8c0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_4w482Oty0
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:28:31 pm by loon »

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2017, 05:24:22 pm »
I took a 223 case cut in half, made one blunt and then I took the neck and crimped it down with some wire cutters and made it like a blank round on the top. Then put on an arrow and went to town. it is brass so if you form the shaft to fit it will last longer. good luck Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 02:46:08 am »
I tried using duplex points but it's damn hard to drill a hole straight into a wooden shaft... will end up going through a side...
If I figure out a way to make a jig that makes it easy to drill centered holes into shafts, maybe I'll use duplex points for wood arrows one day.

I like to use brass nuts on threaded rod.  the brass can be ground down on a a belt sander or bench grinder to make a really pretty point, and the lenght of rod can determine the point weight.  I have the same problem drilling into wooden shafts.  I made a jig by drilling half way into a piece of wood the same diameter as my brass nuts.  I then wedged three nuts into the base of the hole I drilled.  then I drilled the rest of the way through the wood with a bit that passes through the center of the nuts.  If your hole is deep enough, you can place a shaft in it and drill from the other end of the jig back into the shaft, which gets it pretty centered.  If you are patient, you can tap the resulting hole and have a removable point on your arrow.  if you are not patient, use a second drill bit to widen the hole a little and then glue in the threaded rod in the shaft.  It works pretty good, but not absolutely perfect unless you are careful about lining things up.

Offline loon

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2017, 02:39:09 am »

I like to use brass nuts on threaded rod.  the brass can be ground down on a a belt sander or bench grinder to make a really pretty point, and the lenght of rod can determine the point weight.  I have the same problem drilling into wooden shafts.  I made a jig by drilling half way into a piece of wood the same diameter as my brass nuts.  I then wedged three nuts into the base of the hole I drilled.  then I drilled the rest of the way through the wood with a bit that passes through the center of the nuts.  If your hole is deep enough, you can place a shaft in it and drill from the other end of the jig back into the shaft, which gets it pretty centered.  If you are patient, you can tap the resulting hole and have a removable point on your arrow.  if you are not patient, use a second drill bit to widen the hole a little and then glue in the threaded rod in the shaft.  It works pretty good, but not absolutely perfect unless you are careful about lining things up.
Sounds cool, got pics?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2017, 12:35:09 am »
It took me a while to get around to posting.  Here is a picture of the points I make, and the jig for drilling a centered hole.  The brass nuts are seated at the bottom of the hole and then drilled straight through the center. You still have to make sure the arrow shaft is as straight in the guide hole as possible, and if  I did it again, I would seat the nuts deeper--although if you have tapered shafts, then there is a problem getting them to fit.

On the other side of the jig is the guide I use to cut a hole for the end of the self nock, so I don't have to measure every time to make consistent nocks.  I just push the nock end in flush, and drill through the guide hole.  Then I cut down to the hole and file until it fits my string.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 01:04:52 am »
That's a cool jig jeff. Gonna make me one of those. Cheers- Brendan

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2017, 01:18:52 am »
I used two pieces of 1x pine and squared up all the sides.  that helped me center the various guide holes I had to drill.  Hardwood would probably work better, as it would hold up to use, but I had pine.  I also discovered how much a drill bit can drift if it isn't sharp and I push too hard on the press.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2017, 11:39:55 am »
Good thinkin' and a lot cheaper than the metal lathe that I use ;D ;D