Author Topic: Puma Concolor  (Read 3070 times)

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

Puma Concolor
« on: April 11, 2017, 03:29:48 am »
ODFW admits (off the record) to a surplus of more than 3000 cougar in Oregon. Since Oregon voters outlawed tracking them with dogs, the annual quota to keep them in balance has never been met. I'd like to do my part. Has anyone had success taking cougar with a bare bow sans dog they can share knowledge from?
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline GlisGlis

Re: Puma Concolor
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2017, 06:36:01 am »
googling a bit it looks like snow tracking or calling is the way but i doubt you can get in a good position for an ethical bow shot

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:37:55 am »
What do you think the cat would do that prevents an ethical shot?  Is he just too wary to be within 20 yds?
Acts 10:12-13  "It contained all kinds of four-footed animals, as well as reptiles and birds. Then a voice told him, 'Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.'"

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 04:00:13 pm »
Calling is by far the most successful method. Tracking in the snow is really effective.....if you are ready to go on a fresh snow. Fawn distress calls and calf distress calls work. I've only called in 2, missed one and didn't get a shot on the other. Every year people see them from our hunting party here in the Ochocos, and sighting are more common every year.
Get out and give it a try, and expect coyotes.

Eric
Eric

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 02:57:15 am »
What do you think the cat would do that prevents an ethical shot?  Is he just too wary to be within 20 yds?

From what i read (so no first hand informations) i was thinking that it should be really difficult to get a sub 20 y side shot
looks like in almost all encounters the cat is already aware of the caller and in frontal position
I imagine the tension of waiting for a side shot with a big Tom looking at you as a lunch at less than 20yards
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 03:51:31 am by GlisGlis »

Offline Ballasted_Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:53 am »
It seems like a remote call would be a good idea or at least a team operation where the cat couldn't face both shooters at the same time. You'd have to be very conscientious about not shooting at your buddy.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2017, 02:28:59 pm »
A couple big cats have been taken in the Black Hills by young, aggressive, lunatics with bows just by cutting fresh track after a snowfall and trailing that cat for all you are worth.  The idea is to push the cat until he/she gets sick of you and trees.  Once treed, you can look the cat over at your leisure to determine if you feel it is a good trophy. 

That doesn't seem to work anymore.  GF&P has a lot of cats collared and they are used to being treed, tranqualized, and traumatized! Used to be they would tree within a mile or two, but nowadays they light a shuck for the next county!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2017, 09:05:45 pm »
if you can get drawn within 20 yards, you can get a shot,,, probably not every time,, just like any hunting, but if that is your goal,, you can do it,,,